String discolouration (rust?)

Installed these strings on my SR500E a month or two ago, and I’m starting to see some discolouration. This is rust, right? Could I have prevented this by wiping off the strings after every use like I’m supposed to, or is there anything else? Is this normal after just a month or two? (Never wiped the original strings either for a year, and they looked fine when I took them off.)

2 Likes

Looks like rust to me, @akos . . . :frowning:

Yes, I always wiped my strings off using the “Music Nomad” kit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN145--musicnomad-3-piece-premium-string-care-kit

Always had good luck and no rust with it, too! :wink:

HTH and all best,
Joe

2 Likes

I have a microfibre cloth, would that be enough to prevent this from happening? How often do you use the lubricator? I really don’t see myself doing that every day…

3 Likes

I don’t think this is normal after 2 months. I never wipe my strings and haven’t seen this.
But: 2 months for one person might be a year for another (in terms of hours played), so other’s experiences might differ a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, I used it every time I practiced. The liquid is a cleaner/lubricator.

Doesn’t hurt anything, either . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What kind of strings?

3 Likes

Ibanez IEBS4C nickel wound. (I threw them into the order with my first bass.)

Edit: “Coated Surface Ensures Longevity” - lol

1 Like

I’m impressed…

2 Likes

Ouch :rofl:

2 Likes

That isn’t normal for 2 months even with excessive use. I think something is wrong with your coating. I would write an email to Ibanez and demand a life supply of strings.

On a more serious note is the place where you hold your basses very humid?

2 Likes

Not excessively I would think. I’m in Ireland, and the basses are in my living room.

1 Like

Looks like rust. I had the same issue with some Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. I ended up tossing them.
I’ve been using Ernie Ball Slinkys, never wipe them after playing, and I don’t see any signs of rust. Maybe your sweat is corrosive?

2 Likes

I mostly practice at night… mostly

16 Likes

I’m not convinced that is rust.
It might just be the nickel plating wearing off from use, revealing the colour of the layer beneath the nickel.

3 Likes

Only took a few seconds to run the cleaner up and done the strings, then wipe them off with a dry microfiber towel . . . :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that I did place another cloth under the strings first. That way I wouldn’t cleaner any cleaner on the fretboard itself, although it wouldn’t have harmed it.

So add a few more seconds . . . nothing too impressive about that :grin:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

You probably have those custom Ripley strings

3 Likes

That Xenomorph needs an ESP.

5 Likes

Worst superpower ever; the ability to slightly rust stuff with your fingertips.

7 Likes

Ever see Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog?
Simon Helberg plays a villain sidekick named Moist. His super power is to make things damp :grinning:

2 Likes
  1. You are toxic, perhaps washing hands first will help.
  2. Buy better quality strings might solve the problem, could also be a quality issue that is short term.
  3. Use string conditioner (as often as you can remember).

My gut says something in #2 is the key.

3 Likes