String gauges

Hi there!

I’ll ask something that probably is a silly question…
…but I don’t know the answer, nor found a thread with it, so I’ll ask anyway :rofl:

I always went with the factory gauges when changing my strings (to avoid nut adjustment/problems).
Does that makes sense, or is it safe to use a non-stock gauge?

Btw, please ignore it if I ‘write funny’, because I’m not a native english speaker

6 Likes

Non-stock shouldn’t be a problem for the nut (they don’t differ THAT much). They definitely feel different though. Lighter is easier to play with a brighter and less boomy tone, while heavier is a little more effort with a slightly looser feel and deeper tone.

9 Likes

It is okay to use non-stock gauges. I do it quite often. If there is a large difference you may have to widen a nut slot but usually that isn’t necessary.
Also, there are a lot of non-native English speakers on here. I think most of you use better English than I do. :grin:

8 Likes

Yeah, I had to file the nut when I went to BEAD but going from light to medium while still in EADG wasn’t a problem.

6 Likes

Thanks!
I have 45-105 on my Fender and 40-100 on my G&L but I want to try some thicker flats or maybe some 60-115 tape wound

5 Likes

Thanks!
Usually I stay on the stock gauges and play with different materials (nickel, chrome or regular stainless strings)
Then I’ll see if I can get some thick tape wound here (in Argentina strings are kinda expensive and there isn’t that much variety available)

5 Likes

Even if the strings are slightly too big they may work down in to the nut groove without filing. Advice I was given was to put them on and if they didn’t fit in fully, leave them and play a bit and see if they settle themselves in. If it is too tight it may be difficult to tune though.

Filing the nut a little is not difficult though. It just sounds scary and the first time is a little freaky. Just go slow and do very little at a time.

Decent video here:

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice @howard!

5 Likes

Reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one. I want to set up a 4 string with 50 - 120’s in Drop C tuning. I’ve read that is a better gauge for the E string for such a low tuning on a 34" scale bass instead of using standard gauge. Any experience or advice would be appreciated. I’m hoping that it won’t require a bunch of nut filing cause I feel like I could screw that up pretty easily. Thanks in advance!