String question

Hi everyone-
I’m interested in switching from round wounds to flat wounds on my Fender P Bass. Any recommendations on strings and gauges? I appreciate the help

8 Likes

I’ve been using La Bella Deep Taking Flats on my Fender J and I love them, but it is all personal preference when it comes to strings and tone. Give something a shot, figure out what you like or not about it and go from there.

5 Likes

Thanks for your input

5 Likes

Hi @Keith,
Welcome aboard, @Keith
Enjoy the ride :+1:
I use Ernie Ball Slinky Flats on most of my basses
They are my favourites, there are a heap of choices, give them a go.
(WARNING) You won’t go back to rounds after flats.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Keith! I have a set of LaBella flat wounds on my Hofner Beatle bass and I love 'em.

4 Likes

LaBella or D’Addario are both excellent choices for flats. Check them out. You can’t go wrong with either of them.

5 Likes

I roll Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats on my PJ. You get a ton of response and a tone that lives somewhere between regular flats and rounds.

Really easy to play. But I can’t play heavier stuff with them, though - they just don’t have the punch of rounds (and I use Cobalts there, too). That’s why I have more than one bass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use LaBella’s on 2 of my basses and Ernie Ball Slinky Flats (also known as cobalt flats) on another. I like both. The Labella’s have more thump but the EB’s have more high end zing.

5 Likes

Cool thanks

4 Likes

I’ve just put a set of GHS flats on my P bass . The E was 105 down to the G at 55.
I have a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flat wounds on my Ibanez and they’re thinner at .100 down to .43

3 Likes

I forgot to mention both my Labella’s & EB’s are .045-.105.

4 Likes

Great! Thanks that helps

5 Likes

Another +1 vote for flats from me, recently tried them for the first time, on an Ibanez. Really great.
Though I do appreciate it depends on what sound you want overall.
If you have more than one bass, maybe you’d want a different string type on each, unless the feel of flats is the selling point for you.

3 Likes

I just posted this on another similar thread, so I may as well copy it here…

On My Yamaha BB235 I currently have D’Addario XL light gauge (45-65-80-100-130) half rounds. I recently removed the tape wounds and replaced them with these half wounds. The jury is still out, but so far I like them.

On my Ibanez fretless, I just removed the tapewounds and returned to the LaBella Deep Talkin’ Bass flatwounds ( 45-65-85-105-128) that I used to have on it. I really like the sound of them, especially when using a pick.
I enjoyed the sound (and feel) of the tapewounds, but I think they are just a bit too “polite”.

My NS Wave electric upright bass still has the factory flats on it, and I see no reason to change them.

4 Likes

Here’s video that may help. I ended up picking the same two Julia did. Your millage may vary.

youtu.be/k9j-cJkfigA

I just bought these, haven’t put them on yet, but I can’t wait - “The Sound of Chocolate”… wow!

4 Likes

Is there a “Sound of Quarter Pounder with Cheese and Fries” version?
I’d be ordering if so.
:joy:
Seriously let us all know how they sound :+1:t2:

4 Likes

:rofl:

I was thinking of a “Dark Chocolate Truffle and glass of Pinot Noir” version :thinking:

5 Likes

:joy:
Well I was trying to match my food selection to the standard of my playing. I’m definitely junk food at the moment.

6 Likes

Off topic comment: bloody hate the expression ‘junk food’… No food is junk, there are only junk diets.
Any food is ok in moderation.

4 Likes