String tension

How do I know if my string tension is too tight? I just got my bass about a month ago. It is a Yamaha TRBX-174, and I don’t know what kind of strings are stock on this instrument. [EDIT: Yamaha just has “string gauge” listed as 0.045-0.105, if this helps. It does not list a make or model of strings]. Maybe it’s in my manual? I’ve brought it to my local music shop (pretty much the only one there is) for a setup and then back again to adjust, but it just doesn’t seem like the employee there knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s not a bass player, primarily. It feels very hard to get a fast/clear pluck out of my D and G strings. What do I do??

2 Likes

Do you have a tuner? That’s the best way to know.

4 Likes

Get a tuner, and when in doubt always turn to a lower pitch.

3 Likes

According to the Specs page, most Yamaha basses come with D’Addario strings installed. Given that the gauges are listed as 0.045-0.105, your strings are most likely D’Addario EXL165’s (assuming you bought your bass new).

If the strings are tuned to the correct pitch, and they are the specified gauge, then the tension should be okay.

3 Likes

Even if they are heavier gauge it’s probably fine. The tuning is the thing to check.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I guess what I meant to say was “the tension should be okay”, period. I don’t think you’d be able to tune a string one full octave higher without breaking it.

3 Likes

I can attest to that! I made the mistake of inadvertently trying to tune a D string an octave too high and SNAP BOING!

4 Likes

Yep but your heavy handed Pam :joy: :rofl: @PamPurrs
and you like to explore the tuning options available :rofl::joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

considering this might be your first bass/stringed instrument, another concern might be finger strength. Is this issue occuring only on this specific bass or can you observe it on others too?
I remember when trying to play guitar 15yr ago, doring a barre was the most unimaginable thing doing.

3 Likes