Strings, 100 vs 105

Let me start by apologizing of the xxxxth of a string topic, but I could not find a clear answer (maybe there isn’t a clear one).

Out of the factory my bass is stringed with .045 - .065 - .080 - .100 strings. While I can find some sets in these gauges, it seems that 45, 65, 85, 105 is the golden standard. Much more available sets.

What I would like to know is of I can use a 45-105 set instead of a 45-100 set? Are the slots in the nut wide enough for this? Are there other things to consider?

3 Likes

I’ve went with a thicker gauge myself and had no issues with them fitting the tuning pegs or bridge. I like a deeper sound but so many factors play into that not sure how big a part string gauge plays into that. I personally love DR Black Beauties.

2 Likes

No problem at all!

It’s more a “feel” thing really. Personally, I like lighter gauges. But, as mentioned, it depends on what your preference is in terms of how they feel when you pluck and fret, and potentially on what type of music you want to play.

There is a lot of experimenting with strings necessary to find out what you prefer. Differences in materials and how the strings are wound might be more noticeable to you than the difference between .100 and .105

2 Likes

It’s a feel and personal preference thing. I prefer .100 over .105 for the E string. .100 is also extremely common, you should not have trouble finding both.

2 Likes

I read that 105 E might be better for downtuning due to the increased tension. So far I’m liking the 100 very much. But I have no reference to something else.

2 Likes

It’s technically true but the difference is small. Well, for Drop D anyway. Lower and there would be more difference.

3 Likes

That’s good to read, so no possible clearance issues in the nut slots?

I’m a mechanical engineer, operating in very small dimensions. I have a problem computing that something made for 100 will fit 105, professional deformation so to speak.

1 Like

Drop D would be the lowest for me, tuning the .100 to that was no problem so far.

1 Like

I very much doubt that you will have an issue. I doubt that the nut was filed to a very specific gauge. And, if so, it was more likely filed for .105 than .100, but that’s all very “academic”. You should be OK :smile:

4 Likes

Yeah there should be no problem

3 Likes

These two are so close they should be near-interchangeable.
If you move up to larger strings .110 or .115 to .50s or .55s, there may be an issue… but I used .130s on my 4 string for years (I had it tuned BEAD) and even that was fine in the bridge and nut.
(Don’t ask me about how bad I messed up the neck, though).

As the other folks said - it’s a feel thing.
I use the .105s on my P bass and the .100s on my J bass and the .105s on my 5 string.

1 Like

Totally fine. Sires come with 45-100s standard (on the Vs at least), but the V3 I bought was set up with 45-105 rotosounds, no issues.
(besides being advised to change them because they’re stainless steel & would wear the frets quicker or somethin :man_shrugging:)

2 Likes