Strings Disobeying the Laws of Physics

The design flaw is not in question - all standard Fender style headstocks are susceptible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @beecherscoville, good to have you! Say hello here, if you like :smiley:

I think you have all the tips you need - my first step would be to check how well the string sits on the tuner peg, as has been mentioned beforehand. Have a look at this video by Fender.

If you got a setup, perhaps call and ask about this. My local music shop has a great technician, so perhaps you can get recommendations to find one around you.

Cheers,
Antonio

Really good video, easy to follow.

1 Like

This is a strange and interesting issue.
I think that if I was to try and really diagnose it, I would need a video of two things simultaneously -
You playing the bass, fret by fret, on the suspicious A string while also seeing your tuner as you move up the neck, to see what it is registering.

My first thought is - wonky tuner.
My second thought is - because it comes and goes - left hand shenanigans, pressure, bends, or other inconsistencies while fretting.
My third thought would align with what the other folks said with intonation or possible gear issues.

I wouldnā€™t be able to back up any of these suggestions unless I could see and hear what is going on.
Hope something in this thread helps solve your mysterious mystery.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad that, as usual, thereā€™s a lot of helpful responses in this thread. Iā€™m just a bit sad that nobody took the chance for a string theory joke :sweat_smile:
goes back hiding in the corner

2 Likes

Well, this was my very subtle and subdued attempt at one:

:smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry Iā€™ve missed it, the useful comment after it distracted me. Itā€™s also pretty subtle but mean, I like it :+1::rofl:

2 Likes

Very true - but the thing that makes me think ā€œFender A string deisgn issue and how the string is strung on the tunerā€ isā€¦

• its a Fender product (Squier Affinity)
  • its the A string
  • it has bit me in the arse more than once
  • it can act like a wonky tuner

After that, I am suspecting the nut.

• I just had this issue on the E string of my Squier Bass VI with the crappiest of soft plastic nuts they give you, a little crazy glue / powder reinforcement did the trick.
  • Since this is an Affinity series, could be same crappy nut issue

I might have missed it but I donā€™t think @beecherscoville has commented on if he changed the original strings or not, which would be my #3 guess, or maybe number 2.

2 Likes

Sticky nuts do happen. I canā€™t believe I just typed that.

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s not a wonky tuner, seeing as I neither need nor ever use a tuner to hear elementary intervals ā€“ in this case, fourths, thirds, and half-tones.
The issue comes and goes, so Iā€™m not sure that I can post a video that would be of any help. I have, though, attached, a shot of the nut, which was mentioned above as a potential culprit. The guy who did the very quick, dirty, and cheap set up told me that nuts are very cheap if I wanted to buy one and start afresh at filing it down myself, which to me suggests a lack of complete faith in his own filing of the nut.

In any case I am going to change the strings which will hopefully take care of things (and yes, the string theory reference was too subtle for me to understand what was ā€œmeanā€ about it).

Up next, need to figure out what kind/size of tool I need to order from Amazon to adjust the neck truss on my even more recently purchased Glarry fretless. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of Allen wrenches. One will be the right size for the truss.

Others will be the right size for adjusting bridge saddles.

See how the A string has very little to no break angle once the nut compared to the others.
Bad news.
You should have 2-3 windings on all pegs, but that Fender A the more windings the merrier to keep the string pushed down the peg. Itā€™s sitting way too high.

1 Like

Thanks for your experienced eye, John. In the only re-stringing I ever did (putting flat-wounds on my fretless) I followed Scottā€™s advice of leaving about two extra tuning peg spacings of string, but looks like Iā€™ll need more here, at least for the A-string. How much extra string do you leave for winding purposes?

3-4 wraps at least. More wonā€™t hurt you as long as they are near on the peg. 4ā€ will probably only get you 2 winds. See if you can get the whole uncut string on.

It means that the physics explaining metal string vibrations is well know and not in doubt whatsoever. The theory concerning another kind of string, however, is (are? There may be competing ones, iirc, a bit like conspiracy theories) not so solidā€¦ :joy:

Hopefully now we can go back to bass, or condiments :grimacing:

1 Like

I have an astrophysicist friend withā€¦ stories.

Iā€™m fine with the theories as long as they donā€™t call them science. More like one currently orthodox astrophysics religion. To be science, well, first they need to follow the scientific method.

3 Likes

The more you look at physics, the more you realize thereā€™s more to learn. When I went to school and took physics, we understood the building blocks of matter, called the standard model.

Now we know the standard model is in error, we just donā€™t know where. But by tests and observations of muons we know it is wrong.

Theyā€™ll figure out string theory some day, or prove it false. Remember you can never prove a theory, only disprove it.

2 Likes

I might have serious and boring comments to add, but instead this is actually the only reason I think string theory had to exist https://youtu.be/2rjbtsX7twc

Wrong link the first time (and donā€™t worry, itā€™s music) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s a labor of love :rofl:

Could be worse. Could be Dark Matter vs MOND.

One would do anything, not to write a thesis :rofl:

2 Likes