Strings Disobeying the Laws of Physics

Well, one thing I’ve learned from my first post here is never to put the word “physics“ into a thread title.

If you’ll permit me to nudge the thread back on-topic, I have attached a picture of my restrung Squier. The A-string still has the least kink over the nut of any of the strings, but the string is pretty low on the tuner peg, and I put a kink in the string right behind where I snipped it so as to hopefully avoid core string slippage. In any case, no problems so far with the freshly restrung beast. I’ll update the thread if there’s anything further to report.

Thanks again to all for your helpful advice!

Bill

2 Likes

Not to worry - threads can get derailed by the tiniest and most innocent of key or trigger words :smile:

It will always have that - this is the aforementioned “design flaw”.

This sounds promising - fingers crossed!

If you ever want to dive even deeper into this string religion/philosophy issue, here is a link to an entrance into yet another rabbit hole - this one on “witness points”:

2 Likes

Good callout. Witness points are something I always do, but I’m not convinced they do anything. Maybe I’ve been lucky in the past with string seating. :man_shrugging:

Also, it’s a terrible name for what you’re actually doing :rofl:

1 Like

Hey @beecherscoville to make it even better you want the string to end up at the bottom of the tuning peg. It will create a steeper break angle over the nut.

Vs

2 Likes

Yes indeed. @Barney is correct.

You basically have string this in reverse.
The strings should come off the pegs at the bottom. Not the top. A quick fix and you’ll be good to go for sure for the long haul.

I don’t know why you think I wouldn’t have done that, but the unclear angle of the picture must be confusing you. The part of the string that comes off the peg and back through the nut, down the neck, etc., is at the bottom-most coil.
To have the string come off the top of the peg, as you suggest it did, would have in fact lessened the angle of the kink, which would have been the opposite of what I was going for.

2 Likes

I think it’s an illusion due to the angle of the photo, it looks like it’s coming off the top wind :slight_smile:

That’s right, thanks Howard.
Referring to one of your and Joerg’s earlier posts, I also hadn’t heard the term “witness points,” but I did that (that and adding a kink to prevent slippage both being recommended in Scott’s restringing video), although I pressed down on both sides of the bridge saddle.
I wasn’t too worried about the possibility of creating a temporary kink in the sonorous part of the string, imagining that even if I did, the string tension combined with continual plucking would straighten it out, especially since one of the d’Addario strings (D?) already came with a“factory pre-installed” kink somewhere in the middle of the string. :wink:

1 Like

Hey my bad; on my phone this morning on a small screen it looked that way. Glad it’s sorted out.

Looked that way to me too man. Sorry!

Well @beecherscoville you can relax I’ve found the solution to your string / tuner peg problems. Chibson does it again!

7 Likes

Amazing!

I will just add now that it’s in hand that a fret wrap does wonders in addressing this problem

1 Like

For buzzing yes, but not sure about tuning/intonation issues (only as I have no experience here) which is a bit different.

In my experience it helps with tuning and intonation as well.

What it doesn’t do is help with muting much when placed behind the nut.

1 Like

There’s always this option…

2 Likes

They do make that string guide that fits on the tuner like you have on the A string there.

I just haven’t found a scrunchie that provides the right tension yet. Not really looking as the fret wraps work, but a good option

I find a nice colorful sock does the trick, and it also keeps me from fiddling with the tuning pegs.

1 Like