Studio Monitors - techie question

It’s all fun and games until you do this and learn the hard way that your neighbor has an accordion.

5 Likes

Yeah, but no 750 W amp :grin:

4 Likes

You just have forgotten what they sound like through a PA. Just wait until October for a reminder :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl: :beer:

4 Likes

Or Bagpipes.

5 Likes

+1 to this. As long as you are in the ballpark of ear height you are good. They also get twisted left and right to point at your ears if you are staying in one spot. If they are pointed at you, you are on center acoustic axis where the frequency response is most accurate.

3 Likes

You might as well consider using amp/cab sims over your monitors. This is pretty much the ideal setup for it.

That means you don’t use your Fender amp at all. I can recommend the Ampeg sims :ok_hand:

3 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same ones. Did you set the dip switches in the back as well for your setup? They have pictures that show the options (against a wall, far out from one, etc). One thing to remember, they should be the last device you power on and the first ones you power off :wink: Or you will get that, oh so lovely, “pop”.

2 Likes

Yup, all dips set :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I know lots of people here like using sims, but I’d just as soon use my amp. I don’t want to be handcuffed to the laptop and DAW every time I play.

2 Likes

I know people like doing this and it’s certainly fine within the context of what it is. It’s not for me so I’ll point out some other considerations for this.

I go circular thinking about the bass in the bass. On 6" studio monitors the bass will only sound as low as a 6" driver is capable of producing. Granted, with studio monitors a 6" will go much lower than a 6" bass cabinet because they only have to design it loud enough for one person and that allows better low frequency design for the size. However, it still doesn’t sound like a bass cabinet does with a 15" or 4x10". So it comes down to, do I want to hear what my bass would sound like on a good stereo or do I want to hear what my bass would sound like live on stage? I can even make it sound better than I’d be allowed to on stage because I don’t have to worry about mudding up the room with stuff that’s too low. It’s only for my bedroom tone enjoyment. So, now to get that kind of sound out of my studio monitors I have to add a subwoofer, which costs much more than my bass cabinet. Maybe I’ll just play through my bass cabinet. Circle complete.

Something else to consider is that instruments and effects are capable of producing sounds that can shred speakers. Music instrument cabinets are designed to take it. To not blow up ordinary speakers may require paying attention to compression, limiting and high pass filtering. Some studio monitors may have some of this built in, but I’m still not keen on subjecting my expensive monitors to raw instrument tones without having the processing in the DAW all set up. If people try this, they should be aware that some attention is required here.

Again, not knocking the concept. It just gives a different result that doesn’t directly substitute for playing through a cabinet. It’s fine to choose that.

4 Likes

Good advice DaveT. I was only proposing Pam could have a bit of fun with her monitors if she wants to experiment with different amps & cabs. Most of the time I prefer to play with a real amp and cab too, but sometimes I grab my computer and try some plugins. Just an idea nothing more. :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you @DaveT for the sage advice.

2 Likes

This idea I love! Too much fun.

2 Likes

And the answer to this question may be YES, especially when the primary activity is producing cover videos. It may be incredibly helpful to start by dialing in a tone that sounds good on monitors right away.

1 Like

Is that possible with one of those plugins and these studio monitors?

1 Like

It will just naturally happen if you listen through the monitors instead of the bass cab. You’ll be turning knobs to get a tone you like. The knobs can be anywhere. Active bass. Preamp. DAW plug-in.

1 Like

In sure you are completely right here as I know you know your stuff. However, I’m curious about someone composing a song with a lot of heavy effect bass on it and listening to the track through studio monitors. How is it that different than playing real time? Surely studio monitors should be able to handle that situation? I don’t know this topic well though so there is a good chance I’m wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Without a subwoofer, the 6" studio monitors aren’t going to go as low as a bass cabinet can. If it sounds thin, it may be necessary to dial up what is working.

1 Like