Studio Monitors - techie question

I received my new Kali LP-6 Studio Monitors today, and they sound awesome! However, I want to make sure I’m maximizing their potential.

I vaguely recall one (or more) of you sound gurus mention something about optimal height for studio monitors being at ear level. Is that correct?
The shelf I have them on is 6 feet off the floor, which makes the top of the monitors 7’ 2" off the floor. I’m 5’ 8" which would make “ear level” around 5’ 5" or so (just guessing).
With that said, would it behoove me to throw another shelf under that one for the monitors? It would be an easy task, but would it improve the sound at all? Would it be worth it?
Thanks for any advice.

6 Likes

Do you usually use the monitors while standing, or when sitting working on the computer?

5 Likes

Standing

4 Likes

In that case I think you’re looking at “optimal” vs “will be just fine.”

I think what you have will probably work just fine as is.

Optimal would be for you to be standing at a distance from each speaker equal to the distance between them, with them pointed at you, and the speakers at ear level. Also for the speakers to be sitting on insulation of some kind and out from the wall (even with the forward vent and speaker settings.)

But the perfect is the enemy of the good :slight_smile:

There’s also stands you can get that will angle them down towards you but these are usually wall or ceiling mounts. Not sure about a shelf mounts. And a lower shelf would be a good compromise, yes. But if they are good enough for you now then they are good enough :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @howard :blush:

2 Likes

As howard said, I’ve heard people (including my friend who is really into acoustics) rave about putting studio monitors on isolation pads. I honestly thought it was a gimmick, but appears to really help. Here is one for example and you can see the reviews for it. I don’t have my studio monitors anymore or I would have got a couple of these.

BTW, this may not be the size you need, just an example.

3 Likes

Thanks @JT I’ll look into those.

3 Likes

Mouse pads would be fine.

4 Likes

Optimal would be to have the tweeter at your ear level in your normal listening position.

You’re listening near field so angling the tweeters toward your ears will get you in the ballpark.

3 Likes

Yep, if you want more dampening, you could double up 2 cheap pads, but shouldn’t be necessary. You are mostly ensuring against added noise from the monitor vibrating against what it is mounted too, so just a thin rubber pad ( cheap mouse pad) is all that is really needed.

Are you”Playing your bass” thru the monitors? Or mixing thru them?
Do you stand while mixing?

If it were me, I would play thru my
amp for practice
Headphones for recording
Monitors for mixing.

I stand and / or sit while playing
Usually sit while recording, since I can’t figure out video editing yet, but sit while mixing.

3 Likes

yeah, I was going to ask this as well. It’s kind of what I meant when i asked if you used the monitors while standing, because most people use them while mixing.

4 Likes

Studio monitors and a listener should create an equilateral triangle in the ear height. Because of how bass waves propagate there should be at least a foot of a space behind the monitors. And ofc. some iso pads.

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s perfectly fine to go cheap and cheesy with this as long as it is effective, too.

The JBL logo there is exactly at my ear level, it’s insulated, pointed right at me, at the right distance, and sounds great.

My other one is on a stand on my desk but the positioning is not quite as good as the el cheapo solution.

3 Likes

I generally have my amp on while practicing, and it drowns out the studio monitors. However, sometimes when I’m working on a song I like to practice when I first get up at 3 or 4 in the morning (that’s when my brain is at its peak), so in respect to my neighbors, I just play through the monitors.

The laptop in my music room sits on a tall cart, so yes I stand while mixing. I also stand while practicing, playing, and recording. I sit only when I take breaks.

2 Likes

Thanks, Pam . . . lately I’ve been a very early riser as well (4 - 5am) . . . :slight_smile:

Glad I’m not the only one! (I don’t practice at that time, though :grin: )

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Maybe you should, Joe… get to know your neighbors and all that :sunglasses:

5 Likes

:rofl: interesting idea, Jörg!

Seriously though, I live in an apartment building and use my amp, but I wait until everyone’s gone off to work . . . so practice time for me is early afternoon. And so far, no complaints.

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Playing bass at 3 am… what a splendid way to introduce yourself to your neighbors.

Brilliant idea @joergkutter :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

I know you are very considerate, Joe! I was just pulling your leg :grin:

Yeah… probably “Darwin Award”-type brilliant :rofl:

3 Likes