Suggestions on first pedal(s)

I found a ZoomB1Four on Ebay for $149 and pulled he trigger (you mob are enablers eh)

6 Likes

Correct, I forgot to mention that. I believe it was only $50 when I purchased the license a few years ago.
Still a bargain for what you get :+1:

3 Likes

You won’t regret it :+1:

2 Likes

Absolutely.

3 Likes

Like @howard said, it’s a great pedal. Very worth the investment.

4 Likes

Ok, got my Zoom B1 four in the post today, have pent about 3 hours playing with it and i am actually bassed out.
Soo much on it stock!
NFI what I am doing :rofl: :joy:

5 Likes

One of the biggest bargains in music :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi! How could one achieve this with pedals?

I found this setting in GarageBand and I love it.
DUAL PHASE Modulation Delay.
Is there a pedal that does this?
Could I achieve it with my Chorus pedal plus a delay pedal?

1 Like

You could probably simulate this with a chorus or a flanger. The chorus “rate” would map roughly to the LFO mix. The chorus depth would be relatively low. The flanger would have pretty flat settings.

Or you could just keep doing it in software! It’s a lot more versatile. This is my way.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Great! I have very few pedals but I happen to have a BassClone (no LFO as far as I know) and a cheap flanger. I’m going to give it a try. But being practical, you are right, I have it in GarageBand. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

All chorus I know of have LFO’s; it’s the “rate” control.

1 Like

@howard I immediately thought of the UK techno LFO. My brother got me a bunch of albums from the Warp label and there were some real cool oddball tracks on there.

3 Likes

Used to love them. Warp’s whole catalogue is so damn good.

1 Like

My thought is to get a cheap or relatively inexpensive multi-effect pedal initially. That way, you can experiment around with different pedals and configurations before deciding.

One you’ve got a good idea of what effects you like, you can then look for better quality single effect pedals without fear of wasting money on an effect you wind up not liking.

4 Likes

If chorus/flanger/delay doesn’t hit the mark, I’m wondering if something like this may be what they are doing . . .

5 Likes

Phasers are awesome. Two-tap isn’t very extreme for a phaser but that one sounds nice.

2 Likes

@DaveT Thank you for looking it up! The GarageBand version of it sounds great on my G&L with rounds but not that nice with the flats on the Mustang. On the Mustang Chorus sounds much better. Chorus and Drive are basically the two effects I like best and lately (with the exception of the SansAmp) I don’t use pedals. I tone-shape on the SansAmp, including Drive, and send the signal into a clean DI on GarageBand. It’s in GarageBand that I apply modulation and Reverb. Pedals are too much of a temptation but not worth for me in my home office/studio.

4 Likes

There, I fixed it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s always validating to see that I’m not the only one who recommends Zoom stuff. They just do so much. Got my B1Four from @Wombat-metal this week for my son. He doesn’t know it yet but there’s a sunburst Ibanez Mikro bass and that Zoom under my bed waiting for his 12th birthday in a week’s time. Just gotta throw the flat strings on when he’s not looking this weekend.
Even if you’re already down the pedal rabbit hole, a box full of weird can sometimes open up some
Creativity and make some time disappear in the best way possible. And the bassics… just work!! Last Sunday mornings rig…

6 Likes

Really helpful info, thanks!!

1 Like