Summing up TalkBass

Coincidentally that’s the name of one my Facebook Groups. What are the odds?

2 Likes

My friend group’s persistent chat room was called “commie bastards” for years.

2 Likes

They seem to have gotten bad at being critical when someone hits the threads with something that is a little different from what the group tends to like. I kinda made a speech about broadening horizons and people definitely copped an attitude. Lol

2 Likes

There is indeed a very solid contingent of Fender Supremacists there, though I found them pretty laughable.

One time I saw a horde of them trying to convince a guy his new bass was junk and needed a new truss rod, when in fact it clearly just had a perfectly normal dual action truss rod in its neutral position. And even after many pointed this out, these guys kept doubling down. And this just kept rolling on amd on.

That’s basically the TalkBass experience.

4 Likes

Between that and the brow beating it’s just not the same. And now with everyone being extra pc and kicking people off for stupid things it’s just not a great place to be anymore. I cracked a joke about a certain Canadian politician and followed it with a very well thought response on the subject of expensive strings in the country and I had some goober remove my post. It got a ton of likes and laughs until the fun police showed up. Lol I simply referenced Trudeau and that if he made a govt program to pay for strings for bass players it wouldn’t be nearly as wasteful as some of the things those guys waste money on. Moderators went nuts on that and nuked my post.

1 Like

I have no interest in discussing Canadian politics at all. Let’s just stick to bass. Cheers

8 Likes

It was basically the poster of the thread asking why strings are so expensive. Hell I’m American anyway but I just found it funny how butt hurt people get. I talked about logistics and substantial reasons but they still got pissy over a joke. I full heartedly agree about bass is what we all come here for. I probably shouldn’t have found this thread about talkbass especially since that incident is still fresh in my head. :blush:

1 Like

Awesome! Then you’ll be reassured to know that @JoshFossgreen has explicitly asked us to not discuss politics and religion on the forum. So you need not worry about having posts removed if you stick to bass. :smiley: :+1:

no politics no religion

3 Likes

Talkbass is a great place for information. The classifieds is a great place to buy and sell basses.

If you have thin skin you may get butthurt. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Well, misinformation is still information I guess :rofl:

(there is some good stuff there too - but you really have to put on the hipwaders to find it)

2 Likes

It’s like that everywhere.

4 Likes

TalkBass is massive. There are lots of almost sub-forums there: “club” threads for specific bass brands and particular models, even. Not everyone across the board spews misinformation, vitriol and venom.

The classifieds are great for finding really nice basses and gear, too.

3 Likes

I’ll second that for sure. I still will look at it from time to time and catch up on the Warwick, Ibanez clubs and if I see someone’s asking for help with something. There’s still some cool cats on there. I just decided to try this place out and see how the vibe is. So far so good. This place kinda reminds me of how tb was when I first started checking it out. Smaller and seemingly a great group.

3 Likes

No sir, the only truly good person here is me…yeah, that’s the ticket. Meeeeee! AI1885, MikeC and Wombat and a few others feed into my GAS OCD sometimes and tempt me into spending money…so they aren’t very nice :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Aw, c’mon, Eddie. I enable you as much as the next guy. :hot_face:

2 Likes

Actually, you do and may be at the top of the list as far as bad influences go. I edited my post to include you.

2 Likes

Yessssss!!! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Eddie the Angel Jones

3 Likes

:innocent:

2 Likes