Sweaty Hands - Help!

Hello! I started the Beginner to Badass course about a week ago and am loving it. However, I’m noticing that my hands get really sweaty while I’m playing, even if it’s just for a little bit. I know this isn’t good for my playing, my strings, or my morale :expressionless:

Does anyone with similar problems have any go-to solutions that work for them? I’ve read elsewhere about something like baby powder but that seems like it’d get my bass all cakey? Curious to hear people’s thoughts and experiences!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t care. Consider it natural Fast Fret… :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t care that much either. Just wipe the strings with a soft cloth when you’re done playing

5 Likes

It’s probably just nervousness and that will subside with time. I’ve only been at this for three months and when I first started, I noticed that I was clenching my teeth really hard when I played. After a while I stopped and I’m much more calm with a bass in my hands than I used to be.

Welcome here!

4 Likes

Welcome @RoyB

All I would suggest is getting a nice cloth and wiping your hands between tunes as you see fit. I have the opposite problem at the moment. I practice in our outdoor area and it’s winter :cold_face: Cold hands, even colder heart :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for the input, folks!

I’m using a little hand towel in between exercises/songs for the time being and hopefully as @NipperDog said, with time, it’ll reduce to a reasonable amount.

@Mac let some smooth, warm bass tones thaw your cold heart :fire:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

3 Likes

Welcome @RoyB

If the sweaty hand thing persists and is impeding your progress, you might consider a glove (or pair). I have played with musicians gloves and rather enjoy them.
Here’s an entire thread about playing with a glove.

P.S. Beware of advice to play with a baseball glove, hockey glove, or oven mitt. They don’t work, I tried them.

5 Likes

I used to get sweaty hands when I first stated playing. But then I had conversation with my wife and found out she didn’t care how much I spent on basses / amps :wink:

9 Likes

:rofl: @Barney

2 Likes

@PamPurrs thanks! I’ll keep that glove idea in my back pocket (where gloves belong)

3 Likes

… or your glove compartment

2 Likes

Ah, the joy of late recognition by the greats… :grin:

Even if ultimately futile… :wink:

4 Likes

Is there scientific proof that this doesn’t work?

2 Likes