Tab resources?

@juli0r I bought the Songster app for my phone and it was under £5. I just love it.
Jamie

3 Likes

Oh there’s also an app? Is it a one time purchase then?
Because songsterr online is a 9,99$/month subscribtion and I guess I’d pay 9,99$ once but every month?

2 Likes

I don’t know that song, so can’t say if it’s accurate or not, but the tabs seem to correspond to the sheet music correctly.

Not really. Hal Leonard is popular, but quality varies from decent to really good. But I think any company with the scale to be publishing books will be a lot more trustable than online tabs.

3 Likes

Good point, that didn’t occur to me. Thanks Josh.

5 Likes

I just noticed Ultimate-Guitar lets you submit suggested tab corrections. We’ll see how this goes, I just tried with one that is slightly and obviously wrong.

3 Likes

Hmm, change already up and I am listed as the author now. Weird but ok whatever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve find at either Ultimate Guitar or the BigBass tabs sites, there’s some songs that have a few versions tabbed by various users. I think in an earlier post, @Lanny mentioned to ‘trust your ears’ and when it comes to attempting a song on a tab site with various versions and not always accurate, you’d probably be playing along with the actual song anyway to see what fits. So yeah, trust what you hear as you try the tab. If it doesn’t sound right, if nothing else, it may at least get you close and you might figure it out then on your own.

3 Likes

The Official tabs on Ultimate Guitar are pretty good imo. I also love that you can turn on the backingtrack or solo/mute instruments to jam along. I play some selected songs from Josh in there too (which are pretty similar in tabs).

2 Likes

+1

It’s great ear training, reading training (if you’re using a ledger), and bassline creation training. Time well spent IMO.

3 Likes

The problem with using piano sheet music for this is that pretty often, and especially for the bass, the piano arrangement will be different than the bassline for the song. So the piano sheet will get you the key and the melody and part of the bass if you’re lucky.

3 Likes

The bass cover I’m currently working on is my own transcription. When I post it, I’ll b e looking for comments specifically on that.

4 Likes

c04da6f0982ff7ed4452ac367e78dfa626d7b7f3efa8d369f830b2c8208f7487.0

3 Likes

Soon I hope…

3 Likes

Keep in mind, no wine is fine before it’s time

3 Likes

Precisely.

3 Likes

Also realize that there could be a distinct difference between a studio version and a live version.

And yeah, be suspect of anything user-submitted, unless maybe the person is a professional music instructor who specializes in theory and transcription lol.

Just last week I came across a piece where the transcriber nailed the first two bars… And the rest of it was so absolutely wrong that they really should be embarrassed and ashamed for submitting it lol

4 Likes

Sometimes it’s even intentional. When I was covering Down In The Park, I found a very beautiful piano score that had completely reharmonized the song. So it was awesome but thoroughly different. It turns out it was the score for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQQQxyz6fs

Which contains all of the elements of, but is still completely differently harmonized than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C86Q9FukYE

which is the same as the studio version.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember the powertab library? They shut down due to the DMCA threat… Their tabs were probably no more accurate than other options (user submitted), but I liked their interface - kinda similar to songsterr…

2 Likes

Ultimate Guitar Pro is on sale at 80% off for the yearly subscription (ends up being ~$17USD I think?)

They are as mixed a bag as anyone for the amateur tabs but apparently the pro ones are good.

6 Likes

I made use of that deal! I tend to use the Official tabs which you only can use with a subscription.

2 Likes