Tablature notation: Timeless hammer-on?

I’m pretty good at surfin’ the web - but can’t seem to find a name for this technique? It’s like a ghost note into a hammer on but without any notation of the timing implied its immediate

2 Likes

Perhaps like a grace note?

1 Like

It’s not a ghost note to hammer on. I think it’s just a quick hammer on. The main note is the big one but you play the small one first one quickly. Like if you say the word “bling”… did that even make sense?

2 Likes

Yes, they’re grace notes https://dacapomusic.ca/how-grace-notes-work/

In notation they’re shown with a line through them for grace notes before the beat

and no line for grace notes that start on the beat

4 Likes

Thanks for the breakdown - I did find the term “Appogiatura,” would this be what your describing? Edit: your article explains that :slight_smile: thanks again.

2 Likes

This is interesting but I am confused by the beat positioning m from the article, the main note is shortened but this doesn’t seem clear to me when one should be playing the grace note in advance of the best (and so shortening the duration of the previous note. That is, if I take reference to your example, instead of playing quarter note A, eight G# (grace note would fall on the beat) i should play eight note A eight note G# or I am complicating things?

1 Like
4 Likes