Taming a notorious neck diver

My recently purchased MGH bass tends to dive the neck and hangs too far to the left in an uncomfortable position. I noticed both, but bought it anyway.

A piece of titanium (2.2") with two threads relocates the front anchor point for the strap and neck diving is gone. The playing position is much more comfortable than before.

The titanium is freaking ugly, but it serves as proof of concept only and is not intended to be a final fix. I will replace it with Mokume soon.

8 Likes

Phinney with physics!
Yea science!
Hang a skully scarf from it for an ‘80s hair band vibe.

4 Likes

@thomas Best method I have ever seen to prevent neck dive, without alterations, is to run the strap under a belt at your back. YMMV

3 Likes

I agree. Put something cool on it. Bass is really good looking. Nice grab!

3 Likes

Do the diagonal pickups affect sound at all or is it just a stylistic thing?

3 Likes

A: Depends

4 Likes

I walked into that one huh

3 Likes

Can’t tell, @RoyB. This bass is a ‘metal bass’ and it’s got a lot volume on the lower strings. Probably the diagonal pickups do help on this

3 Likes

Doesn’t work for me in this case, coz I had to correct the position too

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

2 Likes

The belt thing doesn’t work for me either since I practice mainly in sweats, shorts, or my undies. The only bass I have that has neck dive is the Hofner, and I’ve learned to live with it, so it’s no big deal for me.

2 Likes

Same here @PamPurrs, tried to keep that a secret…

2 Likes

Be proud!

1 Like

So did Victoria… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I found that a wide 4 inch wide strap with suede on the inside would hold the bass in position no matter what I did. It almost seems as though the suede sticks to you. I think there are several on the market that help prevent neck dive and are constructed in this manner.

2 Likes

I use a 4.5 inch leather strap and it helps a lot. The leather grips my shoulder and prevents most of the neck dive.

2 Likes

You big tease you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: