TC Electronics

Yeah, I think I started the pedals&effects thread way back when because I was flummoxed by the incredible variety of pedal effects out there.

Glossary is a cool idea; but, …potentially lots of work!

3 Likes

Same boat, @joergkutter. It’s just not a happy trigger for my brain. But (let me put on my Analogy Guy cape and costume)…
It’s like with anything. There’s a wave of people who love to try, to tinker, to rate and review different things. Power tools. Brushes. Cookware. Whatever.
I’m much more the 2nd wave of people - the ones that search for their results, skim them briefly, and then go and buy a thing that works well.

Also - since we’re not gear junkies… we need to be friends with them. They have all the knowledge, and usually TONS of leftover gear that they are willing to ‘lend’ or sell at reasonable prices to friends. The only thing you have to watch out for is time. Don’t ask them about what phaser pedal you should get if you have an appointment to get to in the next 30 minutes.

It’s a very healthy ecosystem, and I’m OK with my not-a-gear-junkie part of it.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Gio - wise words, as always! I am Ok with not being a gearhead, but playing the bass, it seems I should be much better prepared (gear-wise) for gigs and even rehearsal rooms than I think I am. When I was playing drums in my earlier musical life, it was like “Oh, well, I am sure you play loud enough”, or perhaps they’d set two-three mics somewhere around the kit, if I was lucky (one sound guy once told me “you know, your snare sounds like sh#t, and I can’t make custard out of sh#t!”). But with a bass, it seems I need to have all kind of gear, if not on me, at least lying in the trunk of my car in the parking lot, ready to be retrieved on short notice. “What? You didn’t bring a DI box/pre-amp/fuzz-wah/…?” seems to be more likely to be asked as the bass player than as the drummer :smile:

In any case, it’s a cool learning process, picking up some crumbs from the gearheads here and there!

3 Likes

@joergkutter You’re all set with the Rumble Studio 40. That thing has all the physical connection you could possibly need and a ton of programmable effect options. It already does pretty much everything talked about on this thread and on the effects thread. It can do so much it can be overwhelming to dig into.

4 Likes

Looks like it has an app too:

Generally I have found apps a lot easier for editing effects on things like this, probably worth a shot.

3 Likes

GUILTY

My excuse as a reformed keys/sequencer programmer is that in the beginning, gear was kind of how I got in to music, not vice versa :slight_smile:

1 Like

@howard The thing is amazing. It won best in show at NAMM 2018. It has WiFi for firmware updates, Bluetooth for app control, set list management, amp and cabinet modeling, 40+ effects built in with the ability to download more. It has separate physical DI’s for pre and post with each one having in/out for their own signal chain. If you don’t want to, or can’t use the DI to run to a PA there is a way to run it as a pre-amp into a more powerful amplifier.

$400 new/$200-250 used, weighs 19 lbs.

If there is a downside, it’s complexity. I read one review that called it, “A thinking man’s amplifier.” You could spend years playing with all the different tone and effect combinations before you ever find out that you want something else. ‘If’ you ever find out you want something else.

The biggest thing I have a hard time with…
It’s like telling a teenager they can be anything and asking them what they want to be. Very few of them have any idea where to even begin trying to figure that out.
I feel like that about this amp. If you already know what you want, it’s just about dialing it in. If you don’t know what you want, it’s kind of overwhelming.

Edit: We have, once again, gone way off the original topic.

4 Likes

Ha! I know the feeling. My reality, however, is the opposite. Every time (literally: Every. Time.) I pull out my pedal board for a gig, someone in the band makes a joke or comment about a bass player with effects. It is certainly not the norm, nor is it expected.
What people want and expect from a bassist is someone who has good time, and knows the songs. And, hopefully, brings a decent sounding amp and instrument.
Extra strings (in most genres) and pedalboards are still treated with much skepticism and raised eyebrows from most of the BIG Ps (Bass Ignorant Guitar Players).

Bass Discrimination. It’s real. (wink)

2 Likes

Ha!

I like Hooky’s take on this:

“Bernard said to me, 'Can’t you follow the lead notes?” recalls Hook. “And I said, ‘No.’ I said, 'You follow me.’ I think it’s the worst insult in the world for someone to say that to you: ‘Don’t be good, don’t play anything yourself, just follow what I do.’ I’m afraid my ego would not let me do that, now or then.”

6 Likes

Ha, I feel flattered… But, yeah, they got my number :grin:
And, yes, I kinda knew all that it can do, but haven’t even scratched the surface of it yet. Even so, I am happy with what I have done with it so far!

Guilty as charged! I had, at some point, wanted to start a Rumble Studio 40 thread (if there were enough users here) to share experiences, presets etc etc.

1 Like

Interesting perspective, @Gio! I guess coming from playing the drums, I thought that now I will have to face the issues with gear much more… But, perhaps not!?

Yes, I remember now having read that post of yours way back around when I started - I can relate to it much better now, even considering that I am still playing bass within the protected confines of my house. I should be better prepared when I fare into the wilderness of real life bass playing (hopefully soon)!!

3 Likes

So somehow I became Josh.

5 Likes

Anybody here have any experience with the BG250 series combo amps? I’m looking to downsize my Fender Rumble 500 v3 into something smaller + cash. It’s running 2x10’s with 350 watts. I got someone offering a BG250-208, which is 250 watts running 2x8’s. He says the sound is really quite good and lows are present. I know that tone is subjective, especially considering what you play and want to sound like. I like to play a variety of sounds and would like something versatile, not just one sound, which is why I’m staying away from a single large speaker.

I’m mostly just playing in my garage alone but will be playing with people in the near future. Would I be downsizing too much? I like the form factor of the TC but I’m worried about the 8 inch speakers sounding thin. Anybody wanna weigh in?

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen plays TC Electronics I beleive, and may have that, or a similar TC stacked combo (or had one?)
I like TC stuff and wanted a BG250 head, or BH, I can’t recall. Not the one with tone print (which is cool, I just don’t want to pay extra for it), the one with burst and compression, although I prob won’t need or use compression on the amp, but never know. A hard limiter for amp protection is about all I could think I may use it for, I have 3 compressors that I love for 3 different reasons.

2 Likes

If you are going to be playing with others, particularly if you are going to be playing with a drummer, those 2 8’s aren’t going to be able to keep up.

The Rumble 500 puts you in a pretty good position for playing with a drummer and for keeping up with a band in general. I don’t think there is a rig out there that will let you do that and is both lighter and less expensive.

If it was me, I wouldn’t take that deal.

2 Likes

After reading that article posted on another thread about the speakers yesterday, I understand the stacked 8’s would be close to side by side 10’s.
If I am not mistaking the Fender Rumble 500 has diagonal speakers, one down the other up. I have no idea how that compares to stacking the speakers, it may make it even bigger, or no, IDK.

I beleive the TC Electronics BG250 is actually 250w in with the stacked 8’s. The Fender Rumble 500 is, correct me if I am wrong, much less then 500 unless used with an add on cabinet.
Just some things to consider.

You also mentioned trading for a smaller cab and cash @mezatron. Is this trade straight up, or is he offering cash along with the TC Electronic’s amp.

I prefer 10" myself, but that is just what I have and I like them better then 15 or 12" speakers. I don’t have any problem with 8" or smaller like @itsratso has, and I was way surprised by the sound of a stacked 8 combo amp.

Be sure to see if I am right about the 250 watts, it could be that it is 125 or 150 or 175 or something like that and then a 250 if you add another cabinet.

Also, best thing would be to have him bring it over, or to a place you can meet up and give it a try yourself. You may fall in love with it, you may hate it.

2 Likes

I really don’t think that speaker size matters. my speakers are 4x 5". I don’t think it’s any different then 2 x10", or a 15", whatever.

2 Likes

You are right, the rumble has diagonal speakers and TC is up/down. The rumble is really overkill for me right now (I play with the master at 7 o’clock) and I was thinking that the TC would be good alone and if I started jamming regularly, I could add an extension cab as it’s the only one in the BH250 range of combos that allows that. He is offering the the TCE BH250-208 (which is not available any longer and I can’t find an MSRP) and $100 cash for my Rumble 500.

I looked at the manual for the TC and this is what is says about power. I don’t really know what it means but I don’t think that it’s limited below 250w unless it’s got an extra cab. My rumble is actually 350 unless unless it has a cab.

Mains supply 100-240 V~ 50/60 Hz
(70 W @ 1/8 of Max. Output)
Power module rating 250 W (500 W instantaneous Peak @ min. Load)

But you’re right, I think it’s just a matter of feeling it out and seeing if it’s the right amp for me at this point in my life.

3 Likes

I think your thinking is on target. It’s a good strategy. And if it isn’t you’ll be wiser.

2 Likes

I believe those amps were around $400 new, but I can’t be 100% sure