TC Electronics

250W is at 4ohm. So for a 8ohm cabs you will put about 125W into it. I don’t understand why TC always “hide” that information (except for the RH450). You really have to go into the manuals to find that info which imho should be on the back of alls amps and also in the product details when you buy it.

That being said I would personally favour a TC amp over the Fender Rumble. Sure the Rumble is nice but it’s mainly good for ‘that vintage tone’ while the TC amp has a much more clear sound imo. I would even go so far to compare the TC sound with PJ amps because they both have that clear sound.

So if I actually want that Rumble sound I rather use a BDI21/Sansamp in front of my TC amp. I would 100% recommend TC amps to beginners as well.

2 Likes

Thanks, I could not be sure weather it was set that way on their combo or not.
Regardless, I agree with the TC Amps over Fender. Again, just my Opinion, but I prefer TC.
Truth be told, I actually prefer SWR, which Is why I have a room full of them.
I like Gallien Krueger amps too, but I agree if you have a transparent amp, you can get a pre-amp and make it sound like the amp you want, or even with amp sims (IR) you can get alot of amp sounds out of the transparent amp head or combo.

2 Likes

Those silver grill SWR cabs look sexy! I haven’t heard of them but apparently there is a whole story about it on the Fender site https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002545263-The-SWR-Story

I went from TC > GK. GK just fits me best and I like the brand. I just had to save some money for a couple of years. :slight_smile: Altho I have to say that I like Aguilar too. For some reason everything sounds good on a Aguilar.

Yeah man for sure. Kinda regret selling my BAM 200. That thing was tiny, cheap, cool and sounded big.

2 Likes

I’ve been very happy with my Aguilar gear too. I’ve been thinning out and selling things I tried. The Aguilar is staying.

3 Likes

You say that as tho it’s something to be ashamed of. I have not played thru Aguilar amps, but I did get the Agro pedal, and quickly sold it.
Not cuz it did not sound great, it did, it was awesome pedal.
Problem was, it is sold as a DISTORTION PEDAL, which it ABSOLUTELY IS NOT.
It is a wonderful ( but costly) Overdrive, and if you want a great Overdrive pedal, this could be it, but it just does not get dirty enough to be classed as a distortion pedal, IMO.

I absolutely LOVE, my Aguilar MM pick up that I put in my Ray4, and their DCB soap bar pickups are awesome from all the reviews I have seen.

I bet their Amps are awesome, and their pedals are too ( plus, they are built like atom bomb proof tanks, possibly the sturdiest pedals I have ever owned).

I also like Carvin (another almost non existence amp builder, limited almost exclusively to Steve Vai pedals / preamps now), Ampeg, MarkBass, and probably a lot more that I just have not had a chance to experience first hand yet.
Orange amps too. Marshall like dirt for Bass, is what they remind me of.

And, of course, I can’t leave out Mesa Boogie.

That’s just a quick list, and a good reason to get a totally transparent amp, such as TC Electronics, and get something that can load IR files. You can get all the amps I have listed and way more out of a single amp and a pedal you can load IR files on.

1 Like

Hmm yeah I think I wrote that bit wrong. My native language isn’t English so sometimes I write sentences how I would say it in my head/language. I’m ashamed of many things T but that ain’t one lol. :joy:

My J bass has Aguilar pickups. Absolutely love those and I also have this mini boost pedal from Aguilar that makes everything sound big.

2 Likes

I knew of SWR, and always liked them, but I did not know how he was to Bass amps, pretty much what Leo Fender was to the Electric Bass.

Studio staple, to touring musician staple, to public amp builder.

I honestly would have to admit, I hold resentment to Fender (CBS Fender) for buying, and killing the line. It doesn’t mean I won’t ever own a Fender or Squire bass, but I seriously doubt I would ever own a Fender amp. I am not a huge fan, to me they are mediocre amps. They are available and affordable and portable, and sound as good as any amp you can put a bass and pedals thru, but, IMO (to my ears, YMMV)they are not transparent, they also don’t have a signature sound, which is what makes other amps I have listed highly desirable, (even fully transparent amps for reasons stated in my last post)

1 Like

No harm, I am always amazed at how awesome all of you out there have seriously mastered the English language, as a 2nd language. Most everybody on this forum that has made the same claim, about not saying things correctly in English, cuz it’s not their native language…I would have never known, without your admission.

So props, love and respect to all of the “English is a 2nd language” ( or 3rd or 4th…etc…) contributors to this forum, and don’t ever feel anything but pride about posting in English and saying it a little wrong, there is absolutely no shame in that.

Edit: my mother is a retired professor in linguistics, and taught ESL (English as a second language) at college level for many years.

I however, speak and write only in English, and often do both poorly.
When in Mexico, I can get by with my Spanglish, but again, pretty poorly.

4 Likes

As a retired print media editor, I can safely state that many people who speak English as a second language speak and write better than many who were born and raised in the language.

5 Likes

It’s true. We natives butcher the language. My wife’s english is significantly more correct than mine is. I know more idioms and slang and have a larger vocabulary but she is way ahead of me on grammar and overall diction and correctness.

And of course her Japanese is native while mine is basically survival level.

Not sure if this is an American thing or just a common characteristic of native language speakers.

5 Likes