TC Plethora X5 Advice

Thanks Dave for the confirmation. Given what you say, I’m not really sure the virtual noise gate pedal in the P5 would be (so) useful compared to the real TC Sentry pedal. I could be wrong, I don’t have a noise gate so my understanding is purely by reading up on them.

1 Like

Happy to help with the research. One idea would be to put the X5 purchase aside for a bit and explore OD/Fuzz/Distortion since that appears to be a strong interest for you. That may influence what else is going to sound good wrapped around it.

2 Likes

Yikes, I just looked that up on Guitar Center… $128.99 for a pedal you may-or-may-not need!

So far I have my compressor and tube screamer in the chain, and only detect a very minor hissing which I have to put my ear next to the amp to hear it.
I have to concur with @howard, I don’t think it’s necessary.
Time will tell as I add more pedals, but for now I’d rather spend that money on something more functional.

2 Likes

Yes I think that is good advice, I also want to see where TC go with it generally and if they start charging for future new pedals on it. I feel they have to, otherwise what’s in the business model for them? :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s a funny one to second guess. It may just be a multi-effect box with 12 effects and done. The price seems too low for that though. They have to be talking about how much it would cannibalise discrete pedal sales. In my case I would have bought 2 TC pedals anyway, so there’s no way I wasn’t going to spend another $150 to get 12. Would I have bought more than 3 if they didn’t have the X5? Mmmmm, probably not. I would have mixed it up from there. In my case I don’t think they lost any sales. To your point, they have now put a platform in my hands that could have upgrades in the future. That would make sense from a business standpoint since they aren’t charging anywhere near Helix prices for the base unit. I’m not sure what they could give me that I would pay for. Bass cab sims? I wonder if it already has enough spare memory to implement a looper. People do some really neat things with combo pedals where they optimize how the multiple effects interact. Maybe that. My request to them is to have a fully parametric EQ module, easy to do in software with a virtual display. I’d pay for that.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch it all, as I didn’t have the unit to try it on obviously, and I know it’s not a full solution, but there is a video on YT on how to turn the compressor toneprint into just an EQ controllable by the knob(s). I assume it has just low mid and high bands like the compressor.
Can’t vouch for if it’s worth doing as a stop gap solution.

3 Likes

The thing is priced really weird. It’s more than the entry level multi-FX boxes like the Zooms and the GT-1B, but less than the next tier. It’s a lot less flexible than either in terms of what it does, but probably higher audio quality than the entry level boxes (assuming the toneprints and hardware are any good.) Basically it looks like a good box to get if you really like TC pedals and plan to get more than (say) two.

3 Likes

I use the noise gate because I have a loud compressor always on, a low drive sometimes always on, and I do lots of video lessons and exercises thru my computer or iPad thru headphones. I got tired of the constant hiss, or turning on and off pedals while I was listening, rewinding, typing, between lessons, or when I jump over to the forum to type some things for a bit, while leaving my bass around my neck with everything on. it was really really really annoying.
I probably should have added that bit of information, as to why I love it and use it so much, because it is not a needed thing, I just happen to love mine.
And everybody has been talking about getting one, or using one in the P5 or Zoom multi’s. So I was just pointing out the ways to set up on the types of noise gates with a loop, and that I would only use one with a loop.

If I didn’t play thru headphones always, and didn’t have a loud always on compressor, I might not use one the way I do, but since adding it to my set up, I love it and it is great.
I know you also probably use your headphones most of the time too @howard, and I could do things different to where I don’e need to use one, like turn the compressor off, and the drives, or cut the volume of my bass, or amp, or computer while not actually playing, but I like my solution. I got it 2nd hand, very cheap, and it works wonders for me. I would never use it in a live situation outside my house, and don’t use it when recording.
I have found that I like the Boss NS-2 much better then the Noise Gate built into Garage Band, and I turn it off. I have the threshold set very very low @DaveT, and even putting my fingers on strings opens the gate, so I don’t lose anything in the attack with the way I use it.
Again, sorry I didn’t explain why I use it better, I was more focused on how to set it up. I do love my NS-2, and would never not have one, I just use it in certain settings, with a very low threshold.

3 Likes

Unless it is on in your DAW. In GB, when I start something new, it is default ON, so I have to turn it off, otherwise, I would be using a noise gate for recording.

2 Likes

In the Zoom, the Znr Noise gate is very useful, especially playing thru the zoom, to other pedals, to the amp, to my headphones. it is a night and day difference when using it after a compressor and drive pedals. the threshold settings can be tricky, and open / close feels a bit clumsy compared to my actual gate pedal, but if the P5 is anything like the Zoom, using the Sentry might be helpful in some scenarios, but it might only really be effective to the other pedals within the P5. Since Modulation pedals are not always, if ever very noisy pedals, and there are no drive pedals in the P5, that might make the sentry useless, unless it does a decent job with the rest of the chain.

I have a TC Spectra comp, and as far as a compression pedal, it was relatively quiet, to almost silent, and if the other compressor that is in the P5 is that quiet, you probably won’t need the noise gate.

If I stood and practiced a few feet away from my amp, I would not really use mine.
I sit next to it, and use headphones 90% of the time. you really hear the compressor and drive pedals hiss thru the headphones.
I may also have some feedback as I sit really close to everything in a corner, so that plays into it too. For my use it is really helpful, not necessary for many other users for sure, you probably won’t ever NEED one. But you did put one on your list, so I was happy to explain how I use mine and loop the compressor and drives thru it, leaving the other pedals alone.

4 Likes

I don’t run 3 compressors all the time, this is not what I meant, but I have played around some, and have ended up with 3 compressors on at the same times, and getting great sound.

1 - I have my always on San June, along with some light drive,
2 - Kick on a chorus patch I built on Zoom MS-60b w/ a Comp in the chain
3 - kick on my Boss-Bass Comp BC-1X which is a nice comp with a boost.

I also may play with putting the Boss at the end of the chain, so that I feed a compressed signal at the start of the chain, thru the San June Optical, feeding the chain with a light compressed signal. After adding some drive and modulation, I could re-comp the signal prior to going to the Amp.

This may suck, and it may be really cool. so far, more then one compressor had sounded good sometimes, so I may play with it further, but it will mostly be for experimentation and learning mostly, but I may end up with something I really like, there are no fails.

I doubt that I will actually have the MS-60b on my main pedalboard for much longer, once I have a chorus and reverb, I may not need it, unless I want amp and cab sims, but with my Alpha Omega Ultra, and the ability to load IR files for cab sims, I may not need even this, so the 3rd compressor may be gone soon anyway.
I love both my compressors, and have gone into it in some detail on my pedalboard thread, as to why I like them both so much, and decided to keep them both, so I will always have 2, but won’t use them together much.

4 Likes

actually hearing how you use yours it makes a lot of sense now, works for you obviously.

3 Likes

i think the ONLY thing that i found underwhelming about DG so far is their cab sims. i actually find most cab sims underwhelming, they all seem to be pretty subtle to the point that i’m not sure i hear a difference in most of them. i actually like the zoom’s cab sims the most of any i’ve heard. not that a cab sim should be blaringly in your face, but it should give you a different sound i think. from watching some youtube stuff it seems as some of DG downloaded cab sims are better.

3 Likes

Yeah, the DarkGlass Cab Sims are not great, Sorry to say, but I can barely tell that they are on, and hardly tell any difference between them.
But
I found a free download of some IR files, and loaded them in the pedal, and they are awesome.
I can certainly tell when they are on, and I can dell between them. Some of them are for my SWR amp, and it sounds good thru the computer, sounding like my amp.

I created a thread about IR files and linked to the free give away patch that I downloaded. It was from a company that put together a FREE download to get people by during COVID, and they are very good IR files IMO.

2 Likes

It is this thread here that has the info to get the IR files from Dr. B

2 Likes

The Zoom amp and cab sims are great.

I just apply amp and cab sims in the DAW now, though. No need for anything special on the gear. Very flexible, great selection out there, and I found a couple free ones I love. The IR cab sim I use can load any IR files you want but the ones that come with it are great.

2 Likes

Hey folks, My son, who just started gigging, was in need of pedals and a decent board. I decided to give him 5-6 of my tried-and-true stomp boxes and I bought him a CIOXS DC7 and a Pedaltrain Metro24. Not a bad start for his first board.

I decided to replace the pedals I gave him with a digital effects pedal/board.

After looking at the pros/cons of the Line 6 HX Effects (FX) and the TC Electronics PlethoraX5, I decided to go with the “TC Electronics PlethoraX5” — Some of the reasons why I went with the PlethoraX5:

• Ease of use, UI and overall design —Seems dead simple! – but, flexible enough to do “most” everything I’d need. - Love the color displays

• Has “most” of the effects that I need as a bass player. I’ll be adding an Big Muff Bass Nano Fuzz pedal, right away. – later an envelope filter

• I’ve always been a fan of TC Electronics pedals, TonePrint, etc— SOOOO yup.

• $150 cheaper than the Line 6 HX Effects (FX)

• Since I’m usually only playing at home, I really won’t need pedal board + power supply — “Until I start adding more pedals and gigging” :wink:

• For me, I feel that this unit will have a-lot of room for growth by way of software/firmware updates. It came out in early 2020; so, relatively new tech.

Technically, I know that the Line 6 HX Effects (FX) unit has more effects and “stuff”; but, just something about the PlethoraX5 that does it for me. Keeping my fingers crossed that I’m right. Worst case, I can send back if it’s totally horrible.

Annnnyway, if anyone is looking at the PlethoraX5, let me know… I’ll be getting up to speed on it ASAP. I think I’ve looked at 999 Youtube videos about both effects boards. :slight_smile:

I’ll be posting pics of my current bass rig, my son’s new pedal board that we are putting together, Annnnnnd my new right w/PlethoraX5
Cheers,
Will

3 Likes

i have had both the hx stomp and the x5 (and every other effect on earth :rofl:). i was happy with both and would say it’s really a matter of personal choice.

4 Likes

Oh, I totally agree! It was really hard to decide between the HX FX and the X5… BOTH are really awesome platforms… Also, I really did like the HX Stomp,too! :slight_smile: Buuuuut, for me, the X5 made better sense. I’ll post some pics later today… Have a great weekend! -Will

1 Like

Sooooo the PlethoraX5 came in today! Ohhhhhhh my! Yeah, I’m happy. So far so good. Big Muff Bass Nano comes in tomorrow and I think I’ll have a good rounded setup. Thanks folks.

3 Likes