Test your musical IQ

a funny test : The Music Lab

it’s NOT easy, on some questions I found that the difference were extremely subtle. and there is no way to play the samples one more time, you have only one chance to decide.

4 Likes

The one I should be best at, I did the worse at. Found the beeps really annoying. Was 96 overall. Only did it once. Probably should have done it with headphones instead of my phone speakers too. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

me too, I did it only once, and I was hungry so maybe not in the best condition :sweat_smile:

funny enough, the test I found the most interesting was the one with the beeps. but it’s the one where I had the worst score :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

A pretty good challenge @terb… A fun one to try out. Actually for being 67 and deaf in one ear, I probably didn’t do too damn bad. Sure wish I had 40 -45 year younger ears though… Ran the sound through my Acoustic Amp so I could hear as much as possible using the one ear that still kinda works…

Thanks for the exercise!

3 Likes

yeah that’s pretty impressive, especially considering you’re half deaf ! we almost have the same score on the beat-beep test :v::grin:

3 Likes

That one was a challenge for me and I had to listen to the “Samples” (warmup) portion prior to the quiz several times - most all of which I got wrong because the beeps overpowered the music (at least what I heard) and I couldn’t hear the music very clearly - only the loud “beeps”. Once I realized that I was always choosing the ‘incorrect’ answer throughout the warm-up samples, all I needed to do was choose the opposite of what I thought was right… :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

that’s a strategy :joy:

3 Likes

If you want to take it for fun, that’s fine , but I wouldn’t take it too seriously. There are some considerable flaws built in to this test. It would really suck if someone took this test, did poorly, and decided they shouldn’t play music because of it.

Adam Neely does a much more eloquent job than I could do explaining it here…

4 Likes

His opinion… Everyone has one…

Actually, I found that it to be a great exercise in “listening” - something I find very valuable when trying to transcribe music. The exercise forces a person to focus on sounds and timing.

2 Likes

Yeah, I usually like Neely’s vids, but that one came across poorly to me, almost like a thinly veiled brag of his knowledge of non-western scale intervals and tempos. Meh, not my favorite Neely vid.

That said, this tests nothing about potential aptitude at playing music. Though that is much more about putting in the work than it is about natural potential, at least in non-extreme cases. So he got that right.

2 Likes

it was not at all the idea when I shared this test, obviously. to me it’s more a funny and interresting game/challenge than an official test, and nobody said the score should decide who would be allowed to play an instrument or not :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I had just come from reading yet another story about someone being chased away from music and I guess I was just being overly sensitive to what a low score might mean to somebody.

I wasn’t trying to crap on anyone’s fun. I, also, had fun going through it. :+1:

2 Likes

I honestly got 100%.

1 Like

lol … 16:18 of the Adam Neely video: “… it’s basically a fancy BuzzFeed article.”
That cracked me up.
It is what happens when Universities (or government agencies, for that matter) have too much money and need to finance all sorts of dubious projects, to justify and thus retain their inflated budgets.

1 Like

Funnily enough, the result was pretty much what I expected. I can’t play with a metronome, or with beeps, but my melodic discrimination is reasonably good, and my mistuning perception fairly average (there was some guessing in the last category).