Bass Lines *Any Style* with Just 2 Notes (for Beginners)

“two frets up” is indeed an important pattern to remember. Two up on the same string is a whole step. Two frets up on the next string is a perfect fifth. Two frets up two strings up is an octave.

9 Likes

… and to add some occasional color, one string down on the same fret is also the 5th, but in the lower octave.

3 Likes

That’s 5 string talkin there Pam :grin: @PamPurrs, that extra string gives you that option​:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Not necessarily. The "5th below’ applies in any key and anywhere on the fretboard whether you’re playing 4 string or 5 string. Granted that B string gives you more options, but the theory applies to 4 string as well.

3 Likes

I agree, I was referring to most who play 4 strings, so the E is as low as I go🥴 @PamPurrs Pam👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Added to… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

@JoshFossgreen Another great video, as usual.

Oh man, Science Josh! I’ve listened to Natural Science so many times. It is well loved in my small tidal pool. That song really helped get me through a tough time in my younger years.

It’s interesting how, to my ears today, the original recording sounds clunky and weak compared to more recent live recordings they’ve done. Still very inspiring, either way.

3 Likes

Is playing the root and drinking a fifth the same thing?..

5 Likes

So, if I walk up five stairs I get to the fifth step.

If I walk DOWN fours steps I get to the fifth.

PHYSICS DESTROYED !!!

6 Likes

Nah, it’s relativity… different observers can experience different outcomes… if you start from a C and then play the G below, it’s a fifth for you, but for the G you come from a fourth above!!

Hrmph, I hope Science Josh approves!?!? :wink:

5 Likes

Relativity’? Einstein never thought about this and he played the violin!!

5 Likes

Well, he did… he was just confused because violins are tuned in fifths and basses in fourths :scream:

4 Likes

I would think of it as a spiral staircase where one full turn consists of 7 treads.
If you look on it from above, you will be on the same position if you go up 4 treads or down 3 treads, only a full turn apart :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now I am getting dizzy :grin:

3 Likes

All these numbers are making me thirsty for a 6 pack.

5 Likes

Nah, just physics inverted :slight_smile:

it makes more sense if you think about going up first. Start on the root, go up to the fifth. Now go up a fourth. You’re at the octave, yay! Ok now go back down a fourth.

3 Likes

This Is why you should always take the elevator.

Of course, if you want to get to the first floor you press “L”, not “1”.

Another conundrum…

4 Likes

L, 1, 0…it’s all about conventions. Can be tricky, taking an elevator :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It works on this staircase:
escher

10 Likes

Doh !

That reminds of the time I had a ten minute fall down the up escalator…:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

90% of the time 5ths are perfect ALL the time! Lol

5 Likes