The 40 best basslines of all time

Just watched “Sexy Beast” again with the unbelievably great Ben Kingsley (you know, from “Gandhi” fame), who has great fun using a non-PC expression for the female reproductive organ many many MANY times.

Anyway, the movie starts with “Peaches” by The Stranglers. I had totally forgotten about that song (and the really funny lyrics) - but now I’m sitting on the sofa, thinking of my unforgettable year in Brighton (don’t ask!) and doodling it happily, with quite a sheepish expression in my face … according to my gf.

I had to google the song, to see if I got all lyrics right … and found it’s on #4 of the Guitar World’s “The 40 best basslines of all time”.

Why am I telling you?
The other 39 bass lines are not too bad too. Maybe some inspiration for covers (@SunDog?).

Here’s the link:

EDIT:

8 Likes

One of the first bass lines I learned. I remember my brother coming home with a (vinyl) copy of Rattus Novegicus.

1 Like

JJ Burnel is my inspiration to play bass. The Stranglers never really made an effort to crack the US (like Oasis) so don’t always get the recognition they deserve. Only a couple of weeks till their 50th anniversary gig at the Royal Albert Hall. Meanwhile I do have this beauty to keep me occupied

5 Likes

Is it already that long?

The bass is a beauty, by the way!

1 Like