The African Bass Lesson

If this doesn’t get your foot tapping, nothing will

12 Likes

It’s 5 am here in Phoenix, and I’m sipping on my second cuppa coffee while listening to this. It definitely got my engine started!

3 Likes

Fabulous drummer.

2 Likes

You can get a lifetime access to the world music bass lessons for $45. some of their lessons are really interesting. I have not joined, but signed up for some free stuff.
there is a link to the sight on Youtube.
some of the bass videos that sample a type of African music, have links to free lesson material.

4 Likes

i’ve looked at this course a bunch and will probably get it someday soon. i just looovvve this.

2 Likes

Yeah it looks like it could be a laugh :slight_smile: I’ve bookmarked it for later - after the Beholden to the Riff work, the sightreading course…

1 Like

Whoa what an interesting channel!

1 Like

I don’t know how frowned upon gravedigging is, but as the child of west african immigrants, hitting play on this video and being hit with that tune right at the start was like whiplash haha this is really exactly what it all sounds like

4 Likes

We’re all good with resurrecting old threads.

Welcome to BassBuzz @chino!

2 Likes

Oh can you recommend any good artists? I know Feta Kuli but he might be a bit old fashioned (and not really that traditional?)

1 Like

Oh I had seen this when it was posted but didn’t have time to listen and forgot about it. This is terrific! I live it when someone breaks down the characteristics of a style. Especially good when it’s for such groovin music.

3 Likes

I had not seen this when it was first posted, so I am glad that you resurrected the thread for us. Watching the video posted upthread led me to this one by the same teacher, which seems tailor-made for the BassBuss group: “Your favourite pop basslines turned African,” starting with – Billie Jean.

3 Likes

Not sure where the “BassBuss” would take us, but that should be “BassBuzz.”

1 Like

I wonder how much popular music is really “traditional”. I think the instruments used to produce it now are largely of European origin and therefore can’t really BE traditional, but when I think of music my parents like to listen to it sounds like this for the most part.

That said, I know songs my parents like and I know songs I always heard growing up going to functions my parents attended (this was all in the United States but I’m given to understand these choices are generally universal) so I’m happy to link you a couple popular songs here.

Magic System in general I think is a really popular (Kenyan?) group but I have never been to a party that they didn’t play this song.
This is another song you would hear all the time, and about 90 seconds in you can really hear a lot about what is discussed in the video.
This song would always get people up and dancing I remember…
This is another song that sounds a lot like examples in the video, and I remember I couldn’t go anywhere without my mom playing this song in her car. A lot of the places you will hear the above makeups are honestly in praise and worship songs (which I’ve recently learned at largely Liberian? Interesting).
When the guy in the video said he was giving an example of West African composition, honestly I was a bit baffled because I’m more used to it sounding like this. But I dunno, Africa is a big place.
This one really sounds like it could straight out of the video and it’s also where you begin to understand why he talks about how long concerts could go on for.

But honestly I think a good place to start would maybe be looking up Magic System or Afrigo Band and just going through the recommended videos :sweat_smile:

Sorry if this isn’t helpful at all. Fun fact, one of my cousins is actually Fela Kuti’s niece! Small world!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a go - I definitely need some more positive music in my life :slight_smile: Thanks also for the great selection - I can’t always follow the lyrics but they really groove :+1: I getting a kind of 80s feel at times?

Maybe we are all less then 6 steps from Fela Kuti :grin:?