The bass yips

have been doing great with B2B but for some reason today even the most simple stuff i was really tight on a few days ago i just cannot execute - its like i have the yips* but for bass. do others experience this?

(*the yips: in sports when suddenly and without explanation a player cannot do the simplest stuff they have been doing perfectly for years)

6 Likes

I would not say the simple stuff makes the difference but when you perform at your highest level, you face good, average and bad days. This is normal. Relax. You’ll do better tomorrow.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s perfectly normal no matter what skill you are trying to achieve. Tomorrow is another day.

7 Likes

I’ve had many days where my fingers don’t want to go where I tell them to, and even if they do nothing coming from my amp sounds good in my ears. Next day all is well. Can’t tell you how common that is or not, but at a minimum I can promise you aren’t alone.

5 Likes

It might be astrological. It’s a difficult time for Sagittarius and Arpeggios due to the moon’s astral plane.
My tea leaves say tomorrow will be better. Avoid tall men in bowler hats.

13 Likes

Don’t sweat it.

I’ve been playing one instrument or another for 64 years, stringed instruments since 1972. What you described does happen on occasion. If it happens in a morning session I just come back later in the afternoon or later that night. If the issue is still there I wait a day. Not a problem :+1: :+1: :+1:

7 Likes

During the ‘yips’ a funny thing happens.
Although your fingers don’t want to play bass well, they seem to excel at online shopping for all things bass and gear for bass.
Quite the strange phenomena.

19 Likes

Totally normal, while doing the course I had a couple of days when my fingers were as if I was holding a bass for the very first time… then back to my normal… like with all things human we have ups and downs, as you get better the downs won’t be as low

6 Likes

Did you warm up beforehand with some brief hand and finger exercises? If not, that’s the reason.

Playing bass is a physically demanding skill.

3 Likes

Just like golf we don’t mention the four letter words here. Lol.

3 Likes

Sounds like a normal day for me, except I’ve skipped the whole “doing perfectly” phase

2 Likes