The Fender experience

Frans Vollink, who is approximately 255 times as good as I am, uses a battered Fender Jazz Bass on stage. But when he’s recording, he uses the 5 string Marleaux.

1 Like

Malcolm Young had an old highly modded Gretsch that he used to produce the AC/DC sound. He used it on the road, and Scott Ian thought he was crazy to put the Gretsch at risk on the road

1 Like

Sound engineers that know how to mix those basses would be my guess.

2 Likes

Sound engineers that know how to mix those basses would be my guess.

And because it’s the safe choice: no will ever second guess your decision to have the Fender.

3 Likes

Not sure why my post didn’t make clear I was quoting/responding to @howard

I understood :slight_smile:

One of the nice things about the relatively recent democratization of music (due to huge numbers of bands now having access to studio grade tools, and the distribution channels to self-release) is that there is a whole lot more diversity in instrumentation out there being recorded and released all the time. Especially in post-rock, post-metal and post-hardcore.

1 Like

I don’t think you are. Like Fender / don’t like Fender. In the grand cosmic scheme of things it doesn’t matter. If you’re down the pub listening to a covers band then you and maybe one other person who might play bass will care what bass they’re playing; but nobody (and I mean nobody) from the non bass playing audience cares what she or he is making noise with.

So enjoy playing whatever bass floats your boat.

However, I do believe Josh once said “Nobody will be mad at you if you show up to rehearsal with a P Bass” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s true. Absolutely safe choice for all occasions.

1 Like

“That’s the bass player because they have the big geetar” :rofl:

1 Like

the video for “Rock Me Tonight”…

2 Likes

Good answer! Such bad, bad advice to do that one. Poor guy, running and singing in jazzercise clothes…

But I’ll say this, the guy had it. He could music. It is in fact sad.

2 Likes

I saw an episode of “Music’s Greatest Mysteries” where his manager tried to stop the video, but the record company insisted on moving forward… But yes, it never should have gotten that far…

2 Likes

Fender have heard about this and sent him a bass for free :slight_smile:

1 Like

0 for 3 - that sure does not bode well.

So they sent him an apology bass and didn’t even bother to check if it had visually obvious body damage?

As much as I would love to laugh at that it seems a bit fishy, even for Fender.

1 Like

Well to be fair to Fender it’s probably shipping damage. If you look at the packaging there seems to be a dent or hole around that area. But it’s still funny, in a tragicomedy sort of way.

1 Like

How do we know this guy isn’t full o crap and just a Fender hater.

One never knows, do one….

4 Likes

Oh please. It’s the internet, it must be true.

5 Likes

Exactly, I learned the Earth is flat thanks to the internet.

2 Likes

The Earth isn’t flat, it’s round. Just like a pancake.

… I think I made this joke somewhere on these forums already.

7 Likes