The Joy of a Great Practice Session

I just had a great practice session. Not at all certain why it happened like it did, but I’m grateful that the bass gods felt generous today.

How about you? How do feel after a badass practice session?

8 Likes

I just love it when everything is just flowing and in the pocket.

3 Likes

it feels amazing. I’m improv’ing and doing things, and suddenly I rip up and down the neck fluidly and with grace, soul, and I just go “well holy hell, when did I learn how to do that?” :joy:

Or I can just feel myself in the pocket, no drums needed, but I know I am there. I am groove. I am one. I am bass.

4 Likes

Hell yeah! Good on you. That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

2 Likes

Great feeling when things fall into place. There are some days when your fingers don’t seem to do what you want them too

4 Likes

There have been threads/posts about bad/lame practice sessions, etc. They are inevitable as a real part of music life.

But what about your good sessions, when things just clicked?

Cherish those times as the rewards they are.

1 Like

Well, I had one of those last night. I have been working on a song from SBL. Steel Maiden. It is fast tempo chugging 8th notes and has a transition from E string 5th Fret to A string 2nd, 3rd, 2nd then back to E string 5th, 3rd and the 1st. That little transition kicked my butt at full tempo. I took Saturday off from playing and last night I nailed Steel Maiden at full tempo and it was clean, muted properly, and right in time with the recording. Felt great. I think I played it about 10 times perfectly with a grin on my face as it kept getting better and better. Tonight I will start working on another song and keep Steel Maiden, September Leaves and some others among my warm-up songs. As I progress, the songs are getting incrementally harder. Soon I will be a bass player extraordinaire.

2 Likes

Congrats, Eddie! That’s great to hear. :+1:

If you can nail it once, you can nail it again, and again, and again.

2 Likes