The new jhs video confuses me

i am well aware that any $30 klon klone is indistinguishable from a real $2000 klon pedal. but this i find kind of shocking. i guess i never really thought to see if you could use any distortion/fuzz pedal to mimic any other distortion/fuzz pedal. because i doubt it’s just a unique property of this specific pedal that allows it to sound EXACTLY the same as any other pedal. which then begs the question, does it really matter at all which pedal you buy? :thinking: :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Digitech makes some amazing pedals. Imagine burning 8k on the Klon and some dude brings this to the party :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah was gonna say they are generally really popular, not sure why this one isn’t.

2 Likes

The only way I can make this make sense is the common factor here is the TS9. What I am wondering is, is what this is really showing that the Bad Monkey sounds like a Tube Screamer, and you can make all of these other overdrives also sound a whole lot like a Tube Screamer, because that’s just an iconic sound?

I love JHS. Some awesome burns of other youtubers in there too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It can work sometimes but not always.

I’d say that it depends :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah I was about to say. The tube screamer overdrives your amp so in that sense it kinda makes sense they sound similar. I love using a low gain overdrive pedal in front of my amps. It’s very different with distortion and fuzz.

Like all cool products from Digitech it got discontinued ages ago.

3 Likes

hahhaaahhaha

5 Likes

now that digitech is relaunched, who knows?

4 Likes

I can buy one local for 80 euros :sweat_smile:

Oh cool didn’t knew that!

4 Likes

Man that’s hilarious. Josh should sell one of his six.

3 Likes

I loved that video thanks. I also rewatched ‘Scott Pilgrim vs The World’ last night because of that pedal. Want to see stupid money? There’s this:

4 Likes

$12,709.45 That’s an incredibly specific price.

I’m going to weigh in and say, “Yes it does.”
What this video really showed was that all of these pedals can sound like a Tube Screamer. Does that mean that all Tube Screamer pedals are the same? No, each manufacturer will (usually) put their own twist on the Tube Screamer design.

One may give you the option of more gain.
One may preserve your low end better.
One may have eq controls that are different.
Etc., etc., etc.

It’s interesting that these pedals can sound the same but that only shows one aspect of the KLON pedal. What he left out, was any commentary about what makes these pedals different. That seems a bit disingenuous. For instance, the KLON has a very different architecture than the other pedals in the video and because of this it has different capabilities. So, yes the KLON can sound like the Bad Monkey based on the settings being used but can the Bad Monkey sound like the KLON if the settings are changed.

5 Likes

I believe that was Gary’s old phone number.

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:
Nice. I had to sing it.

1 Like

I love the JHS show, can’t tell how much I’ve learned from it, but it is a fact that if you have a pedal you are not using and he does a show on it…SELL put a ridiculous price on it, call it vintage, rare and sell.

3 Likes

Every time he reviews something the guys who have the outlier product immediately jack up the prices because they know somebody “has to have one”. Just like Fulltone stuff doubling in price when they announced closing the shop. OCD was 80-100 bucks all day long and then all the sudden they were 2-300 bucks.
Being in SoCal stuff swings wildly from week to week. Sometimes you can’t give things away and other times you can name your price. Crazy. The market changes follow new releases and Josh’s videos. Especially if it has the box!

3 Likes

There’s quite a few available on FleaBay for less than £100.

Kinda hilarious how this took off. This is a reaction from Josh about the whole ordeal

3 Likes

I really liked this video. Specifically his explanation about making the video to help people realize they don’t need expensive gear to get good sounds.

2 Likes

I really like all his videos. One of the best and most knowledgeable channels for effects.

1 Like