The Official BassBuzz Food Thread

Great idea for a topic, @RuknRole . . . :+1:

I’ve never tried sushi (I like my food cooked), but all that food in your pic really looks delicious! Nice variety of colors and well presented, too! :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I gotta go along, @Celticstar . . . especially if you feel really hungry . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Wow, that looks really good too, @autumnsdad1990 ! . . . :yum:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Everything goes! Only rule is it has to be a pic of something you ate.
Is that fried chicken strips?

1 Like

Thanks @Jazzbass19! I watch a lot of cooking completion shows and gave me the idea to star it.

You can start with cooked sushi. That is how I started and all I ate for many years, and slowly graduated to raw fish.

A California roll might be a good one to try for the 1st time, it has cooked crab meat or crab substitution meat.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that they had “cooked” sushi . . . do you mean you ask to have it cooked when you order it? :thinking:

Okay, what is the raw sushi like? . . . Is it really chewy, etc.

Maybe I’ll give it a try!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Some of the rolls are made with cooked meat by default. Ask the waiter/waitress for a list of the cooked ones.

Not sure how to describe the raw fish texture. Maybe the real sushi connoisseurs here can chime in.

1 Like

It’s not chewy, more soft. It’s really really good. Most has mild subtle flavor.

For raw, maybe start with salmon - really good flavor but not too much.

You don’t order it specially cooked, there’s just certain kinds that are cooked. Some good cooked nigiri (sushi on rice) to start would be tamago (sweet omlette) or unagi (grilled eel with teriyaki sauce).

Saba is a good choice too - it’s not cooked, but it’s not raw - it’s pickled. Really good flavor.

Rolls are a good way to go too as @RuknRole suggested. The basic California roll is awesome, people love it here too.

3 Likes

Lots of great info here, @howard . . . :+1:

Thanks for your posts and pics! I’ve noticed that since I moved down to Virginia, when I order salmon, I’m asked how well I’d like it cooked . . . Never been asked that before.

I don’t think it’s a “Southern thing”, but then again . . . who knows? :thinking:

Okay, well next time I go out, I’ll keep an eye out for sushi :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

All this talk about Sushi made me hungry for a noodle bowl. Don’t ask me what’s in there, a little bit of everything, I think. This might be the Japanese noodle bowl version of that Garbage plate! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amoung the raw meats, raw fish are the easiest to eat for the most part. We eat raw dishes from several cuisine in addition to the popular tartare and carpaccio, Korean has one that’s very good. I usually skip the raw egg yolk unless I make it myself then I make my lava version of it, less gamey, lol.

I cook with sous vide methods quite often some of the duck breast is still blood red but they are safe to eat. I’m not adventurous enough to try the pink chicken yet.

2 Likes

Yes, if the "food of kings " variety. If you have one, try raising cane’s. I’ve never meet anyone that didn’t like it.

1 Like

Hwe Dup Bap! It’s awesome.

1 Like

None around here in NYC area or even close.
Looks like one opened (and closed) a while back in the city.

1 Like

I am surprised someone has not asked if there are any safety concerns regarding eating sushi. Here is a link that may answer some questions regarding general health concerns.

2 Likes

I suppose I’m at the other end of the spectrum where you would find vegans.

This is one of my favourites, steak Tatar:

The toppings are egg yolk, and (left to right) dill pickles, onions and pickled mushrooms, salt and pepper. When I make it myself I also add a little olive oil and Maggi seasoning. Some people add anchovies, but I really hate them so I don’t. Goes best with fresh-baked light rye bread and voddy from the freezer. Yes, yes. I know. Polish genes. You have to excuse me (i’m not at my best :rofl: )

3 Likes

I a sushi restaurant is reputable, I generally have more concerns about restaurants that cook food vs. the raw sushi. As much, or more, can go wrong not cooking food properly.

2 Likes

Yeah - I have way less concern for sushi prepared by a trained sushi chef than I do about, say, meat or even salads from chain restaurants.

I have never had food issues with sushi. The last two times I got food poisoning, it was from “cooked” food.

Lots of other more common vectors for food illness. One of the most common causes of salmonella, listeria, and e. coli is sprouts.

1 Like

Thank you, @Celticstar . . . :slight_smile: I will check out that link.

Probably way in the back of my mind was some concern about food poisoning and eating raw food, and that’s one reason why I haven’t tried sushi yet.

But for me, it was mostly liking my foods well cooked. If I eat a steak, I like it a little pink in the center (medium-well?), but I couldn’t eat raw beef.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Truer words have never been said. I would also add the improper storage of cooked or partially cooked food.

1 Like