The Official BassBuzz Food Thread

That’s my feelings also.

I only brought it up because back in the mid 70s my mother had to have some kind of worm surgically removed that had burrowed into the tissue in her throat, after eating sushi, and I just wanted people to know there can be risks.

2 Likes

But your favorite, steak tartare, is uncooked, is it not?

1 Like

Yes, but I’m pretty choosy when it comes to my sources.

1 Like

Same as medium rare burgers quite frankly, or even medium depending on how handled.

Net net like @howard said, great care is generally taken with raw food due to the risks and the focus on them. Most other stuff…gets lost in the shuffle.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried Steak tartar. That looks interesting and appetizing . I need to add that to the list of things to try.

I’ve only gotten sick from food once, and I’ve eaten some shady but delicious street foods in 3rd world countries. The one that somewhat got me were those delicious street tacos in Tijuana, Mexico. I never got sick to where I had diarrhea or had to go to the hospital, but my corn hole would involuntarily gasp for air like a goldfish for about a month. :rofl: It eventually went away, I think some of the parasites I must have picked up in Central America may have eventually killed whatever I got in Mexico!

2 Likes

Same here, worst food poisioning ever was at a fancy seafood place on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

2 Likes

Hey @RuknRole, here’s my Mom’s recipe:

6 oz. Finely minced beef tenderloin (a fresh fillet mignon will do, best minced with a knife, get the whole piece from a good butcher and mince it yourself).
1 egg yolk (as separated from the white as can be)
1 dill pickle, finely chopped
1 smallish onion, finely chopped
1 oz. pickled mushrooms, finely chopped(wild ones are best, normal white mushrooms are ok)
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Maggi seasoning (optional)

Mince the steak finely. Salt the meat a bit and add a spoon of olive oil. Form a round patty with a divot in the middle. Separate the yolk from the white and give it a gentle rinse with cold water to wash away residual egg white. Place the yolk in the divot. Place the three vegetables in three separate piles beside the meat. serve immediately alongside fresh light rye bread, butter, and two shots of freezer chilled voddy.

At the table, mix all the prepared components, salt and pepper generously. Optionally add a few drops of Maggi. Gently butter the bread and place the steak tartare on the buttered bread. Chase with cold voddy sips, half oz at a time. Yummy!

1 Like

Thanks @MC-Canadastan! I’m definitely going to give it a try! I showed the wife and she’s all for it!

Worst food poisoning I have ever had was what I now think is a latent minor food allergy, because I got it from the same kind of meat both times I have tried it.

But for most food it’s all really preparation, handling and care of the food. I’ve had chicken sashimi multiple times without issue. Raw chicken served as kind of a ceviche.

I’ve also had plenty of fugu - blowfish, which actually can kill you if prepared incorrectly. In fact it’s the first dish my mother in law made for me, which made me wonder :rofl:

7 Likes

Let’s see how tough smartypants-san really is!

Actually, Takifugu rubripes isn’t toxic as such. The toxin, called tetrodotoxin, is produced by a bacterial symbiont of these fish.

3 Likes

Ahh interesting! I take it the bacteria live in the spleen then? I think the spleen is the toxic part anyway, maybe pancreas.

1 Like

Yes. In the gut in general, and AFAIR some glands.

2 Likes

Barbequed a few steaks. Can’t go wrong with BBQ!

9 Likes

Mmmmm . . . BBQ!

That’s a whole entire world of goodness and discussion, @RuknRole . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Those steaks and the veggies look fantastic.

3 Likes

Amazing!

3 Likes

I’ve been on a colorful food kick lately. Enjoining Paella and Football tonight. Not your usual game day food, but it’ll do! :grin:

2 Likes

It has sausage. Football mission accomplished.

1 Like

Lol yes.!

1 Like