The original songs and compositions Laboratory

also been going down the fretless rabbit hole lately. great job on the walking line, sounded nice and smooth

1 Like

@bjams Thank you! I need to go and play one for about an hour to see if that is the direction I want to go. It would be great for solo jazz bass or even walking but I don’t want a bass that is a one trick pony. Too much money involved for that

1 Like

yeah that’s kind of where I am too, I am interested in jazz bass, have some occasional fun with iReal Pro, but unless jazz becomes the majority of what I’m playing it’s hard to justify buying a fretless.

1 Like

It is definitely where I a want to go with my playing but I like to lock into a solid groove with other genres at times as well

A fretless doesn’t really limit that…the tone is a bit different. Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam on the album 10 is all fretless other than Jeremy (12 string)

2 Likes

Nice and smooth Lester @LesterH,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Thanks Brian

1 Like

I don’t know exactly where this is going…but its going somewhere

1 Like

The cool thing about this one is it was spur of the moment all improv, one take made up as we went. Musicians get to kind of “know each other” and some random magic happened here.

4 Likes

Hey, @kerushlow . . . That really sounds pretty good for just being improvised and in a single take, no less! Nice jam session. :wink:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Thank you. We certainly aren’t at any crazy level of musicianship or anything, but that’s also what I’m pointing out. Experimenting and learning to play something that works with others. Doing that and then taking bits and pieces from it…it forms the basis for a song later! We may or may not with that example, but we also have like 3 hours of recordings of stuff like that to go back to. It’s just one aspect of song writing (and one that is fun!).

1 Like

I like that! Actually it is kind of reminiscent (style wise) of some early NIN. I could totally hear some synth coming in and some whispy vocals!

1 Like

it goes to show you how people hear things differently…you hear NIN and synth, I hear late 50s lots of reverb and maybe a tremolo drenched guitar playing rhythm.

It is funny, though I wonder with Reznor. Everyone is influenced by someone, so that aspect of some of his songs very well could be derived from the era you are talking about.

The craziest thing about music is how people can do different things to the same thing they hear. It is so infinite in possibilities. I love it!

1 Like

very cool jamming there @kerushlow,
Just recording music without vocals is often more enjoyable as you can focus in on the groove.
Nice piece :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

It is really fun. It’s also hard for a singer to stay in key improvisationally. We have gotten nice hooks that way though, when the singer hits a melody. But definitely the instruments alone Is nice. That 20 year old v-drum set sounds surprisingly good through the DAW too. By having v-drums and the instruments all DI we can play as long as we want and neighbors can’t hear it, AND the recordings come out sounding much better! It’s a cool setup!

2 Likes

still working on the structure and started thinking lyrics and these are all scratch tracks but it is starting to take shape

1 Like

Here is a new one! I’ve never used this effect in anything else, but it’s just cool on this song for some reason.

2 Likes

This one is cool! Nice chill vibes to it! I like that guitar style too.

1 Like

Cool effect. Definitely works better on the high component than the fundamental. Might want to check if it has a crossover/freq cutoff and bump it up a bit. Your bassline was cool but got lost in the tremolo mud of the lower frequencies.