The original songs and compositions Laboratory

Yeah I think part of that was phone mic. In person it sounded different for sure, that’s the problem with live mic recording without a DAW. Sounds good to your live ear, but what you capture sounds different and you can’t mix at all!

Come to think of it, this was the first iteration when I came up with it, I think the mids and Bass were cut and treble was up quite a bit. Was a different phone, but yeah the low frequency with that effect gets muddy.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10JE7QZoWxDz-EVSPg9I3jyRL1Y2kZ2Sp/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

One I just did today about 5 minutes ago.

2 Likes

I’ll redo the guitar part lay down a lead track and do vocals tomorrow…hopefully

2 Likes

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Here is a little work in progress. Most of my playing is like 20 minutes of practicing and 10 minutes of some “music making”. The bass in this is “bubbly”, sloppy and overall … exactly how I expected it to sound after a week with a bass, but hey, the bass sound in there is me playing, not midi or sample and as such I am over the moon about it. :grin: I am starting the orchestral arrangement now and after that the daunting task of recording the bass as I envision it to sound and posting it for others to hear.

As I mentioned it’s a first try so I know that there’s nothing to write home about, but I guess we all know the urge to share even the tiniest progress, so unashamedly I am sharing it here.

Thanks and keep rock’n’rollin.

Listen to Alternative Reality Draft 1 by Bohemian Dreamin’ on #SoundCloud

5 Likes

I like this, gives me some 80’s post-punk / gothic vibes.

Nice touch with crowd in the background :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks, it actually has a reason. The track is about the alternative reality of dreaming we don’t want to wake up from. So, it’s a part of the dream sequence, I hope it will make more sense with the vocal part.

4 Likes

Nice, I actually like it as instrumental as well.

1 Like

Oh yeah I like this very much, it’s right up my alley style-wise. Nice use of synths. What are you using there and for drums?

2 Likes

Thanks, Howard. Synths? It’s really just a Poly D, Moog clone from Behringer. (We can hate on Uli as we want, but Behringer synth division is great … and probably the only chance to own CS80. Take my money already!!!) For strings etc. it’s … BBC Orchestra One from Spitfire audio. For e. guitars it’s Ample Sound Strat plugin through Amplitube from IK. Drums? It’s 16 bar loop I recorded with my cheap percussion pad. (Carlsbro Okto A) That’s why it’s so static, I don’t have a useful kick pedal, so kick is by hand … I want to re-record it/reprogram it, but the basic tempo will do for now and there’s a lot more fun elsewhere in the making the track atm. )

Really cool.

Behringer’s synths are fantastic. The Roland clones they make are especially spot on.

One of the guys that I ask advice from said he felt I wasn’t leaving enough space with the bass lines I write of course he said that about the guitar solos too. So I tried to leave more space and there is a short bridge near the end of this where I got creative but…so I’m hoping to do a vocal and lead track this afternoon.

Struggling with the vocal track…struggling a lot…LOL

I’ll add the vocals and start cleaning this up a bit

I haven’t got the vocals where they need to be but the instrument levels are there, just need to spend some time cleaning them up but I dont want to do anything more until the vocal track is completed…kinda like this song

2 Likes

Nice @Tokyo_Rat ,
I’m hearing some nice walking bass lines leading into eighth note 12 bar cycles.
Fits in nicely with drums and guitar.
On this one IMO there is saturation of bass in a few spots, sometimes less is best🤔 still a nice body of work👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

you know I worried about being too busy especially the decending run at the end of each stanza in the chorus…worried a lot about it…at one time I had scaled this back to just root notes keeping time. In the end I just wanted to have a piece to play on that sounded like fun to be on the big strings. I’m sure you are right I need to go listen a dozen more times and see what NEEDS to be there as opposed to letting my ego get in my ears.

2 Likes

I like this, a lot.
There are a couple busy spots, but overall this is really cool.
Sounds like the bed of a hit!

3 Likes

Thank John, I like the song I’m really struggling a lot with the vocals and phrasing and I agree that there are busy spots I’m going to go in to the office in about an hour and see if I can make something work. I envisioned this song as being something you could play in club and really have fun with, where someone who doesn’t play could look at the bass player and think, “damn, never noticed that guy before”…LOL

2 Likes

Well, don’t take too much out, the bass is near perfect.

3 Likes