The PICK thread

I’m not familiar with this. Can you post a link?

1 Like

This is the vid I got it from. I dunno if he actually does it in the vid, but he does explain it. I also don’t think he was the first person to do it (I have heard of others doing it too) but this is the first time I had heard of anyone doing it. Basically you take a pencil or pen (or anything with a similar shape), hold it by one end towards the bottom strings, and let it drop on a string. Relax your hand while doing this, and it should bounce up and down creating a tremolo/vibrato sound. It probably works better on a guitar, but I just do it on my bass.

2 Likes

HOW DARE YOU

Just kidding, I do that too! I just don’t let beginner students do it until they learn “proper” fretting technique, otherwise it becomes a problematic crutch.

6 Likes

Bonus!

3 Likes

nice one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know what this means. It time to check the pedal board thread. :smiley::+1:

4 Likes

Hahaha yep. Expensive pick!

4 Likes

Oh yeah, another question. I usually play my bass sitting down, but I was wondering, where do you put your bass when standing up (with a strap of course) I usually put it kind of high, but that’s also cause I mostly do finger style. If I use a pick I notice its a bit uncomfortable. I also have noticed that most bass players who use a pick keep their basses pretty low to the ground. Whats your preference?

3 Likes

nothing extreme, but yes I feel it’s better to keep the bass quite low when playing with a pick ! to me it’s very tiring to hold the bass in a higher position.

2 Likes

Your bass should be in the same position whether you are sitting or standing. Otherwise it will likely lead to errors due to the geometric differences. This usually means the bass is higher than what you see in rock videos and such. It’s also horrible for your back to play bass super low.

3 Likes

my bass is way lower when I play standing than when I’m in sitting position !

2 Likes

I mean, that’s OK. It’s not a rule you have to follow, as with most things about playing the bass. However, if you think about it, you are having to make micro adjustments to your playing style depending on if you are sitting or standing because your body is in a different position. This may be easier for some to adjust to than others. I’d personally keep things as close to the same as possible so it is one less thing for my brain to have to think about. Plus, I’m just re-starting, so I’m not having to change what I’ve done in the past in this regard as I can’t remember what I did 20 years ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

if it helps you, that’s fine :+1:

2 Likes

Sure. It’s just one of these things. Like I always wear a strap to support the bass even when sitting as well. Many people don’t do that either. Each to their own. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

yes and it illustrates that it’s important to try and test different setups !

5 Likes

I always play and practice standing up using a strap. I’ve always played all of my instruments (other than my banjo) standing up.

2 Likes

All this time, I’ve played with the bass at the same height whether sitting or standing (I do both), pretty high up, probably since I’m still in learning mode. But I’ve tried out other bass player’s basses, and they’re all playing it much lower than me, when standing. And I’m finding that I probably need to lower it when standing at some point. I think it also depends on arm length, comfort in plucking, and just personal preference!

5 Likes

Somewhere in between this

and this

should be fine :grin:

13 Likes

with carol kaye’s birthday having just gone by, there’s been a ton of articles and interviews with her lately. one that i thought was cool was her talking about how in the motown days everybody played with a pick using flatwounds, “that was the sound” she said. then she goes on to say how so many “experts” these days are so anti-pick and that they don’t know or appreciate the history of the instrument.

2 Likes

Would love to be able to play properly with a pick. Not sure if you follow Matt Freeman on Instagram but he has been playing songs each day.

His right hand is a machine. I love rancid but just can’t play that quick with fingers

3 Likes