The PICK thread

I thought you were in Scotland?
That’s a whole different ball game entirely.
It’s worse than trying to understand someone from The Congo :astonished:

4 Likes

Just joking Pete :wink:

2 Likes

Up/down alternate picking becomes necessary for pick when you do faster triplets or even some 8th notes at certain BPMs. I have seen some really good finger bass players do that where for very consistent 8th/16th notes they put index and middle fingers togethers together tightly like a pick and go up and down like that.

Best picks imo for beginners at least is large ‘wedge’ triangle picks, whatever width really though thinner 0,8 to 1mm will feel less crampy. I’m on 1,5mm Tortex rn sometimes 2mm Ultex. Only thing is, once you get more natural force the tonal advantage of the pick, which is dynamic volume (being able to accentuate certain notes MUCH louder or less), will sound more ‘snappy’ and the attack too loud the thinner you go. So, a thicker pick esp for rougher genres becomes more attractive.

5 Likes

I’m English (but don’t tell anybody up here).

7 Likes

As if they haven’t noticed yet :joy:
(People have a keen sense of picking up someone’s accent/vernacular even when coming from as little as 50 km away, I find)
Sorry, @terb - waaaaaay off topic (again)!

4 Likes

back to the picks, guy ! :sweat_smile: :joy:

yes, that’s exactly what I’m testing with the cover I’m working on currently ! but I find it gives less overall control than with a pick. maybe it’s just me, don’t know. anyway it does not sound like a pick, it sounds somewhere between a pick and the bare fingers, and it’s even more “wavy” than the down/up pick technique. worth a try for sure !

I think it’s a good idea to grab such an picks set ! a very good way to test everything, see how it feels and what you like most ! at some point you can’t have only one pick anyway :grin:

3 Likes

Lol, I love this!
Here’s mine. I hear Lemmy used a purple Tortex. I can’t deal with purple but I’m not sure I’ve ever actually tried a blue.

Here’s a burning question: when do you call yours worn out?
I feel all bougie because I bought a pack of new ones recently. :grin:

5 Likes

Nice ! I think .88mm may be a bit soft, but it depends, it could be interesting for the “clicky” attack.

About wear, I’m a pick killer. I destroy a standard pick like yours in about one week. the tip ends up being rounded. that’s why I use the Dunlop ULTEX, which must be something like the plastic version of adamantium. they almost don’t wear at all, they last years and years. I can’t even remember the last time I bought picks !

well in fact they wear but the edge ends up sharpened like a knife from the contact with the strings, and the tip keeps it’s shape way longer.

4 Likes

As in Adam and the Ants?

Class.

3 Likes

Your English is great dude! Plus bien que mon français terrible. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are my fav picks, harder for a dummy like me to drop!

I got a Dunlop variety pack a while back too @howard, nice way to see what feels better and listen to the tonal differences between materials.

@joergkutter, felt picks are picks covered in felt! (left)

I assume there’s another firmer material inside. I imagine bassists have used them in search of a round, dark, muffly tone. Works nicely on bass, though I don’t think I’ve actually gigged or recorded with it. I also have that solid wood pick on the right - if something is solid, you can pick with it!

There was a kid at my high school who used to use a carrot sometimes (he was weird), and it would shred all over the bass. Takeway - you can practice bass and do dinner prep at the same time!

9 Likes

yeah those bigs triangle picks are much appreciated by bass players, in general ! that’s not what I use (I prefer standard guitar picks, and smaller for the guitar) but I think it’s a comfortable and efficient option

it makes me remember that, at one time, I was using metal picks. those things were a bit disapointing tone-wise, I remember it sounded NOT agressive and bright as I would have expected. but it exists. and now I want to carve a wood pick because I’m not sure I already tried one ! :grin:

you bet he was weird … :joy:

5 Likes

Carrot Pick is almost a band name.

6 Likes

Carrot Weirdo & the Vegetables :smirk:

4 Likes

Noob pick question!
How are we supposed to get the muting done with a pick? :no_mouth:

Of course, if you have your fretting hand available you can do some, but it won’t be as much as with your plunking hand with the finger technique.
I find it especially annoying with the E string that keeps singing all the way…

Is it just the way it is, or are there some mystical incantations I’m not aware of that can mitigate this issue? :thinking:

5 Likes

@terb you never finger pluck? Always use a pick? Interesting…

5 Likes

Great thread topic! Pick vs Plucking has always intrigued me.

Since starting this bass journey with absolutely no prior musical background over the last 2 years, I have found myself playing with pick probably 60% verse plucking 40%. I’ve kind of taken it to an extreme, with 2 different guitars to achieve the varied results. I started out with a Squire Jag short scale and had the pickups swapped out for some EMG Geezers, and also changed the stock strings to flats. Really love the sound, perfect for plucking… nice heavy low end.

However, about a year later, I started experimenting with a pick (since Josh recommended that early on to learn both styles). The Jag with flats worked with a pick, but the sound was not very bright, and just seemed to be lacking something. So once I eventually added my 2nd bass, a Gretsch Jr Jet short scale with humbucker pickups, I decided to swap those strings for round wounds, and viola, the sustaining bright tone I was looking for with a pick was born!

Now I just swap out guitars depending on the song and the sound I want to try. For slower, more melodic stuff I prefer the plucked sound of the Jag, and for faster tunes with a harder edge, I go with the round wounds of the Gretsch. It is also fun and I think good practice, to swap out techniques. For example, once I am used to playing a song with a pick, I will sometimes try to play it by plucking using the other guitar. That transition normally does not come easy for me. I guess just because there are really unique differences in those techniques, muting of strings, etc. (and small differences between the guitars, neck width, etc)

This is certainly not the perfect solution for everyone- but just wanted to point out what a difference the strings/pickups/guitar can make, and how those things can affect plucking/picking decisions. And don’t get me started about effect pedals or amps can come into play- I’m still experimenting with that end!

9 Likes

I finger pluck sometimes, for example I’ve recorded the Steelwoods cover last summer without a pick, and I also did all the B2B course with pure finger plucking like Josh teaches. but I must use a pick maybe 95% of the time … the 5% of finger plucking being mostly some random noodling.

a lot of possibilities but I’d say that it’s a combination of both hands. for example if you play on the D string, you can have your right hand lying on the E and A strings, and you can mute the G string with your left hand while playing your line on the D string.

Also I use a lot a very blues/rock technique that teachers don’t like : I often mute the E string (which is not often a E in my case, by the way) with the left thumb. it closes the left hand but it allows to mute the low string with the left hand :grin: can be pretty convenient, depending on the bass line you play

yes and using a pick or not will make you play differently. it can be in a good or a bad way, depending on the music you do, the tone you’re looking for, and of course personnal preferences.

5 Likes

My discovery last night was that I will need to raise my action a little.

3 Likes

Ok a 1.0mm pick feels way better than my pictured pick above. I think it must be only 0.6mm or so. WEAK.

I definitely need to raise my action though. So much buzz while picking, heh.

4 Likes

Perhaps you need another bass, one set up for picking? :grin:

4 Likes