The PICK thread

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0mm for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should give the Flow Gloss a shot. Pretty sure it’s the same material, about the same size, with a slightly different shape to the overall pick and a sharper/narrower point.

1 Like

Yep, tried it, also a good pick to play with. I do have a slight preference for the deeper thumb groove of the Big Stubby. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you all think of my pick holder? I think it’s a little over engineered but it’s cute that they made it look like a little bass

8 Likes

I like it. I have about 100 picks so I guess I’m gonna need to buy a lot more “holders”

4 Likes

A new litter of 12!

5 Likes

Adding mine to the pick moutain 'cause look at these cute mochis :blush:

The Ibanez elastomer picks are elastic; if you want a string to make a soft shtoiiiing they’re perfect :wink:

6 Likes

Hi @bigoudiii - just a quick electrical engineer / site safety lead guy thought on your picture.
If those batteries land in that tin just right and create a closed circuit, you could have some dire results, they are darn close to making a cirucit now. Of course, you won’t get electricuted but with no load you may get some buring or battery damage etc.

5 Likes

Wow, good spot! Thanks for the tip. They’re usually wrapped in my glove but one on them is kaput, it probably short-circuited when I carried the tin in my gig bag. I’ll need to find a plastic box that fits inside the Altoid tin. Thanks again for the warning @John_E :+1:

edit: spelling

3 Likes

Tell us about the Mochis: where did you find them, and is the strip helpful for gripping?
Thanks

2 Likes

I bought the mochis on Amazon. They were also listed on eBay. The brand is Dulphee.

They have the same hardness as the Tortex Flex but with a smoother texture. They are not thicker just wider and the black band is just printed on it, it’s not an actual grip. They sound good to me but I’m using the smaller picks for now. I’m just starting out with the pick and my muscle memory is not there yet. So I won’t give an expert opinion on their quality :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think those are actually onigiri :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well the clown barfs got returned. After trying all kinds of picks, I have come to the conclusion that the Ultex are my favorite. I’m done searching.

3 Likes

Yeah, Ultex or Tortex for me too.

3 Likes

I’ve settled on delrin and bought a bunch of sizes. Mostly using the 0.96.

4 Likes

I’ve honed in on Tortex blue or green, depending on bass feel, my mood, or my outfit :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Tortex and Delrin are the same material fwiw

4 Likes

Many years ago I had a cell phone battery in my pocket and it shorted out on some coins and got extremely hot! :open_mouth:

and if they picks are made from acetal and they catch fire, they decompose into formaldehyde :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

This is where I’ve landed too for Bass.
For guitar I prefer Dunlop nylon in various thicknesses for strumming, but for Bass the Tortex Green gives me just the feel and sound I’m after.

4 Likes

So, here is my pick collection

Newer at the top, older at the bottom
(The Gibson is probably 15 y.o :rofl: )
I’ve done B2B plucking as expected and added picking later. With the new 5-string bass, the muting issues became definitely more evident, so I approached the new instrument mostly finger-style.
But now I’ve got a few more picks, and I’m experimenting again because of the many more tone possibilities… and somehow, I like it more with the TRBX than with the Harley Benton JB.
So far, my favorite is still an old blue wedgie, but the purple tortex in 1.14 mm is a close second. Somehow the ultex in the same thickness doesn’t feel as good. If anything else, it is perhaps a bit slippery

3 Likes