The PICK thread

if it helps you, that’s fine :+1:

2 Likes

Sure. It’s just one of these things. Like I always wear a strap to support the bass even when sitting as well. Many people don’t do that either. Each to their own. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

yes and it illustrates that it’s important to try and test different setups !

5 Likes

I always play and practice standing up using a strap. I’ve always played all of my instruments (other than my banjo) standing up.

2 Likes

All this time, I’ve played with the bass at the same height whether sitting or standing (I do both), pretty high up, probably since I’m still in learning mode. But I’ve tried out other bass player’s basses, and they’re all playing it much lower than me, when standing. And I’m finding that I probably need to lower it when standing at some point. I think it also depends on arm length, comfort in plucking, and just personal preference!

5 Likes

Somewhere in between this

and this

should be fine :grin:

13 Likes

with carol kaye’s birthday having just gone by, there’s been a ton of articles and interviews with her lately. one that i thought was cool was her talking about how in the motown days everybody played with a pick using flatwounds, “that was the sound” she said. then she goes on to say how so many “experts” these days are so anti-pick and that they don’t know or appreciate the history of the instrument.

2 Likes

Would love to be able to play properly with a pick. Not sure if you follow Matt Freeman on Instagram but he has been playing songs each day.

His right hand is a machine. I love rancid but just can’t play that quick with fingers

3 Likes

I love Matt Freeman… and playing that fast with anything is a huge and massive challenge. I’ve only ever had one student attempt the Maxwell Murder solo.
It’s a dooooooooOOOOOOoooozy!!

2 Likes

I’m new at this and wondering if using a pick is ok, then why doesn’t anyone pluck down with their thumb? Seems to me that it could work. Anybody have an opinion on this?

4 Likes

I suppose you could, @shockadrew . . . and I’m sure that some bass players might pluck with their thumb depending on what they’re playing . . . :slight_smile:

Legend has it that back in the early 50’s, Leo Fender originally thought that people would use their thumb when playing the electric bass, so he added a rest under the G-string as an anchor point for the fingers. But it seems that idea never caught on.

IMHO, you get more dexterity and speed with the fingers (or a pick) than you would using your thumb.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

A lot of reggae players play with their thumb which makes for a very soft attack.

4 Likes

I do, depending on what I’m playing. I do it in the same way finger pluckers play guitar.

There is also the double thumb technique where you go down and then back up with the thumb to play quickly. Hitting the string from above and then from below.

Also, the bass player from ZZ Top has been known to use his first finger supported by the thumb to play like he’s using a pick.

Alternating plucking is taught because it is so broadly applicable not because it’s the only way.

2 Likes

Whoa . … don’t know how you do it, @eric.kiser :slight_smile:

Just tried to use my thumb but I just can’t seem to do it with more than a slow, soft touch as @infra suggested above for reggae. Feels very awkward :grin:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Thanks for the good info. Most of the songs my uke group plays is old popular tunes that I will try to set the beat. I’m going to try a pick for this stuff, more clarity and a sharper attack for the ukes.

3 Likes

So glad I found this thread! I recently picked up bass again after not playing for 15 years. I’m 52 and started playing when I was 14 back in the 80s. I learned and played with a pick for 20 years. Been trying to learn finger style since picking up bass again, but can’t get a consistent tone (my pointer and middle finger sound different) and consistent rhythm. (I’m better just using my pointer finger).

I used a Dunlop thumb pick for years. I never had to worry about dropping a pick and I could switch to finger style if I wanted. Been trying out different picks and noticing the different tones. I love the Wedgie 3.1 mm Hard Rubber pick. Sounds like finger style. Also have a Fender Heavy, it has much more attack and a definite pick sound. I have a set of Dunlop Gator variety picks coming.

There seems to be a lot of prejudice towards pick bass players. For me, I am just more comfortable playing with a pick and my rhythm, attack and tone is more consistent. I still keep practicing finger style, but I just have to accept, that I am a pick player :grinning:

Thom

6 Likes

welcome in the Pick Player Support Group @tfioriglio :grin:

4 Likes

When I first started playing (many years ago), our lead guitarist wanted me to use a pick and that’s what I played, albeit not well. Fast forward to today, taking Josh’s course, and now I play exclusively with my fingers. I can’t play with a pick at all . . . go figure! :roll_eyes:

And I do NOT think there was ever any pick “prejudice” against Chris Squire! :wink:

Cheers and good luck to you, Joe

2 Likes

My name is Pam, and I’m a closet pick player.

5 Likes

Woohoo, got my Dunlop assorted Gator Picks in the mail today. The Gator picks have a bit of texture and grip to them, as compared to the Fender Celluloid picks which are smooth and slick and hard to grip. I would suggest to anyone to try different picks. You get a different tone from the different thicknesses. Thinner picks are more treble and more defined attack. Thicker picks more bass and less attack. I find the .58mm and .71mm too thin but great for my acoustic guitar. The 1.5mm and 2.0mm are very solid with no flex. Picks are cheap! Try them out.

5 Likes