The Reaper Thread

What studio monitors do you have?

3 Likes

JBL 305P Mk II. About 160W total.

Perfect for my place (a large bass amp is out of the question) and they sound fantastic.

5 Likes

Yeah thats plenty. I can see why you got rid of your 26 watt amp (160÷6), thats pretty wimpy.
I have a pair of Kali LP6 monitors that are 40 watts each, and that’s plenty for my purposes and the size of my music studio. But like I said, I sure like the roar of that Fender Rumble 500 watt amp head and cabinet :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Strangely enough the Rumble 25 was fine for my condo, it never got above 5 :slight_smile:

But the monitors are much more practical.

4 Likes

Funny, I went the middle road where I only use one PA/FRFR speaker for my bass, guitar and synth needs. I’m addicted to amp and cab sims but without a computer (for now, plugins are getting crazy good lately)

2 Likes

Yeah. Bottom line is amp and cab sims sound way better through monitors than any amp that I am likely to afford would sound. I actually think for what they do, they sound better than actual amps in many cases.

Would they shake the walls? Well, not as much, unless I bought a 12" PA. Which I would totally do if I planned to play live again (and do the same thing you’re doing, except in stereo :slight_smile: )

But shaking the walls would get me a call from the building management anyway, so that’s not really a problem.

3 Likes

Actually I play in stereo. The pedals I use have a stereo/XLR out and the amps I use got all kinds of stereo inputs. Stereo sounds better/fuller imo. One of my speakers has 2 speakers and 2 tweeters so that one does a good stereo simulation compared to my other speaker which only has one 12 inch speakers and a horn. The 2 speaker version lacks power with only 30 watt but is perfect for bedroom levels and the 100+ watt 12 inch speaker just sounds amazing on low and high volume. Headroom is a thing imo.

Two speakers would be ideal for the ultimate stereo experience ofc :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Every once in a while I think about a pair of DBR12’s, yeah :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yeah for those you need a pair and a mixer to split the signal into stereo. Some speakers have a stereo link included but I personally think a mixer gives more control and is the way to go with these kind of speakers. If I would ever buy a FRFR speaker it would probably this one too!

1 Like

Yeah plus for live I would need at least three or four instrument inputs, not counting the stereo channel over USB from the DAW.

Or I could just hang them off a Quad Cortex I guess and use it for the out audio interface as well :rofl:

1 Like

You could lol. Not sure how it handles keys and drums :laughing:

I feel that you need a Quad Cortex in your live @howard

2 Likes

If I was gonna do live it would make some sense. Then I would just use the computer for synths and drums and run the amp sims on the QC for both guitar and bass. Vocals would go in it as passthrough.

2 Likes

My favorite “amp” is the Plugin-Alliance Ampeg SVT-VR Classic they gave away free last year. I owned an SVT/810 years ago and the plugin sounds exactly like it. BTW, it was developed by Igor Nembrini whose company currently makes my favorite guitar amp emulations.

3 Likes

I love that plugin

1 Like

I’m back.

I got to a point where I was able to record a backing track. Figured out how to play bass and hear teh backing track at the same time. I even have wavforms!

When I try a playback I don’t hear my Bass. Even if I render ONLY the bass channel I hear nothing.

I’m not sure what I’m missing here.

1 Like

I also see the levels changing in the volumes

Doh! I just realized I’m not replying in the Reaper thread.

1 Like

SVT-VR is great! Their G-K 800RB is good too.

2 Likes

Found it

That wasn’t checked.

1 Like

Since I’m back to using Reaper for my recording I decided to dig into plugins. I was wathhing a guide and this one was used and liked by the streamer.

Currently on sale. Does anyone use it for bass? Curious if I should dive in. Reg $99 for the “standard” version, no on for $39

1 Like

@Koldunya likes that one.

You might also want to check out Amplitube 5, if you can find it on sale.

2 Likes