The Reaper Thread

Mp4 that i renamed to mp3

1 Like

It’s an mp4 file, and you renamed it as an mp3 file?

You need to convert it. Reaper doesn’t support mp4 files.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s not going to work.

2 Likes

There are several free online conversion programs. Cloud convert etc.

2 Likes

The best freeware converter is called Handbrake. It’s free, easy to use and works with every format and file.

3 Likes

I finally got my Motu M2 and I have a question.

Motu recommends a sample rate of 44100 and block size of 256.

This video, Reaper DAW 101:- The Basics - PART 1 (linked earlier by @PamPurrs) recommends a sample rate of 48000 and block size of 128.

What are the best settings for making cover videos?

2 Likes

Either sample rate will work fine.

The block count you can tune for latency. In general, I would suggest trying 256 and if you don’t notice the latency, use that.

Reaper displays the exact latency to expect in the upper right of the window while ASIO is active.

The lower you go with the buffer size, the more CPU intensive the recording will be, and at some point you will start dropping samples. But the smaller the buffer, the lower the input latency. It’s a tradeoff.

5 Likes

Thanks, Howard.

3 Likes

Quick gear rundown: Kiesel Osiris with SCP (P) neck pickup and RSC (J) bridge pickup. Fender Rumble 100 amp. Berhinger UM2 DAI connected to amp’s XLR line out. Reaper v.6.64 x64 DAW.

I am new to DAIs and DAWs, and especially new to Reaper. The Kiesel RSC (Radiused Single Coil) pickup is noisy. On top of that, every bass I own picks up noise from my PC when it’s close. Because I sit close to the PC when recording, I’m getting PC static in the background, and if I’m using even a little bit of the bridge pickup I’m getting 60 cycle buzz.

Is there a setting or plugin or something I can do with Reaper to filter out or reduce that background noise? It’s not bad, at all, it’s just there… and I don’t want it to be there.

1 Like

The PC static should not be being recorded.
Any pickup/bass electronics hum noise etc will.
You should look to eliminate/minimize this.
Do you have a really good grounded power feed and conditioner like a Furman?

Here is a good place to start on reducing your noise floor.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+reduce+noise+floor+in+recording+

2 Likes

I couldn’t find a Music Production channel so here I am.

My setup is as such:
Bass guitar > (maybe ZoomB14) > Behringer UM2 > PC

I have the inputs working so I can record my bass, but when I add the backing track I can’t hear anything. I have it set to Monitor, I’ve tried ctrl-r to record with monitoring but I hear nothing. Most of the info online is all for earlier versions. I’m on the latest version, 6.64
Here are my settings for the backing track. Help! I’m desperate to hear all my mistakes!

4 Likes

OK!
Solved mere minutes after posting.

Note to anyone else, Plug your headphones into the interface, not the PC.

7 Likes

Im glad you got it sorted!

For future reference, we do have a Reaper thread here

4 Likes

I have the same setup, and yes, that was part of the learning curve. You might be able to set up an output to computer speakers - I haven’t tried to figure that out - I just plug the headphones into the interface and move on…

4 Likes

Thanks Pam! I’ll check it out!

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m happy with headphones for now.

5 Likes

Get a set of monitor speakers to drive from the audio interface. Then your whole PC has awesome sound, and your bass amp is now optional :slight_smile:

Not joking, sold my amp years ago and am much happier.

6 Likes

At least once ive been trying to figure out why i wasnt getting sound from my interface… usually its YT that takes the output and wont give it up…and eventually discovered that my bass wasnt plugged in :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I too have studio monitors connected to my audio interface, and often just use those for practice. But when I really want to shake the walls, I switch on my 500 watt amp. I’m in a house rather than an apartment, so don’t have to worry about upstairs or downstairs neighbors. I love the roar of a bass amp!

6 Likes

My studio monitors are six times the wattage my bass amp was :rofl:

3 Likes