The Reaper Thread

Apparently some other stuff on that album too. Billy Corgan sold their SR-16 on Reverb and being the machine used there was one of its selling points :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I found a used SR-16 in original packaging from Amazon for $116.00 instead of the retail price of $148. I’ve always had good luck with used gear from Amazon, it’s usually something that someone returned and is in perfect working condition.

2 Likes

Programming drums using the midi sequencer was also kind of the first thing I did in reaper, but I might look into a VST. Probably quicker to setup for improv and jam sessions. Not that I currently have the opportunity for the second.

I have a question about another VST which I deem hopeless, but maybe there’s something I didn’t think of: It’s about Ample Guitar M II Lite (the free acoustic guitar VST from ample)
I found out that one can use strumming patterns instead of single notes so it sounds more natural. So far so good. Started writing a song in E major and made a chord progression.
The way the strumming pattern thing works is that one can select (and edit) chords for finger placement and a strumming pattern. Now everything works fine, except G#m, because only the 1st (high E) string goes further/higher than the 4th fret in the recorded sounds of the VST.
I programmed a pattern with the downstroke on the lower strings and upstroke on the higher strings. The downstroke just plays G#1 on the low E string, but not D#2 and G#2 on the A and D string.
Any ideas for a solution? Or maybe a similiar VST one of you can recommend?

2 Likes

maybe invert the chord when it gets too high?

Good call.

Created a G#m like that. I hope it’s still a G#m, but I got a G# and D# in the downstroke and G#, D# and B in the upstroke. It’s not perfect, but sounds better than just that lonely G# on the E-String.

It doesn’t sound perfect, but certainly better. Could’ve thought of that myself, but was stuck thinking about a technical solution. Glad I asked.

2 Likes

I just watched the instalment wherein Kenny “Machine Gun” Gioia explains how to add drum sounds to First Song.
After having gawked about the horrible, horrible drum sounds he gets out of using the drum kit virtual instrument he’s using, I searched for an alternative.

I am currently very much in love with the free kit from Steven Slate:

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Okay, dumb question time…

I ordered the SR-16 and it’s supposed to be here Tuesday. I have been poring over the PDF manual, and haven’t been able to get a grip on how this device interfaces with the DAI (Zoom U-44). Do I need to order MIDI cables? if so, how many.
@howard or @eric.kiser can you answer this question?

1 Like

Yes, you need a MIDI cable and an audio cable. You run a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT on the DAI (or other MIDI interface, but the U-44 has MIDI so it will work fine) to the MIDI IN on the drum machine; this will allow you to control the drum machine with MIDI from Reaper. Then you run the Left/Mono Audio Out from the drum machine to one of the audio ins on the DAI.

4 Likes

@howard thanks, that’s what I need to know. I ordered a MIDI cable from Amazon. I’ll figure it out as long as I have all the cables I need.

2 Likes

So, yesterday I moaned about Kenny “Staccato” Gioia’s drum sounds.

Today, he wanted me to add a bass line, so needless to say, I was all exited.
Turns out he wants me to add a whole-note bass line, using the most computer-generated low frequency sound I have ever heard in my entire life.
And since my life has now lasted 62 years, and it involved computers fourty years ago, that’s quite a feat.

So, fornicate that. Imma figure out how to record a line in…
… and so I did. I gave myself 2 minutes to improvise a bass line on that tune that made it a touch less boring than it is. I will probably redo that tomorrow… I’m not terribly exited by the result, it’s below par even to my standards.

BUUUUT what I am exited about is:
Reaper has, on a shoestring budget, enabled me to record music again!

This is, in terms of production quality, as good as I was able to come up with in the early eighties, but with a lot less hassle, a lot less of cubic feet of equipment, and at a fraction of the cost!

TL;DR: I’m stoked! So now let’s finally expose how bad of a musician I am…:

8 Likes

This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed — Learn more

2 Likes

… huh? SoundCloud insists that it should be shared with this link…

1 Like

Should work now.

2 Likes

@peterhuppertz very nice! Indeed!

1 Like

@PamPurrs How do you like the drum sound?

1 Like

… oh wait, I need to reword:

BADASS!

2 Likes

It was good, but I was focused on the bass.

2 Likes

Too much honour.
Idea, decent. Execution: below par. But then again, I was so stoked that I got ANYTHING on tape…

… again, I’ll have to write out something decent tomorrow.
I like how I went off the base note in the fourth bar. I liked how I walked down the scale in the 8th bar.
And then came the horrible string buzz, and that’s where I called it a day. :laughing:

3 Likes

Peter I’m well impressed, don’t be hard on yourself it’s great :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:
@peterhuppertz

1 Like