The things unsaid

So, this is the post i didn’t want to make.

I took up the bass as a gift to myself for my last birthday. It was something i had always secretly wanted to do, and beginner to badass me realize a lot of things about myself.

Unfortunately, the time has come for me to admit something-mostly to myself…

I won’t go into a huge amount of detail. I’ve had a couple of stroke episodes that involved bleeding in the brain. When they did mri films, they found i have progressive multiple sclerosis.

What a cosmic joke, right? The guy who always wanted (secretly) to play music gets the movement-related disorder. Who writes this crap?

Ok, all self-pity aside-i got some issues. About 2 years ago i lost the feeling in my feet, they just sting all the time. Over the last 6 months or so, I’ve begun losing feeling in my hands… Over the last couple weeks its gotten pretty prominent. Trouble walking, trouble holding things.

Trouble feeling which string im on…

I’m still going to play, I’m still serious about being a badass- but I’ve got to re-assess my goals and redefine what that means to me.

I’ll still be here, just not as active posting, because it’s gotten pretty hard to type and the constant editing really bothers me.

I mostly wanted to say thank you. Thank you to @JoshFossgreen and the crew at bassbuzz.
And huge thanks to everyone in the forum. All of you helped me realize a lifelong dream, whether you knew it or not.

Like i said, I’ll be around. I consider the people in this forum highly, and I’ll keep a presence here-it’s just going to be a little muted from now on. Less run-on verbiage.

So, a huge thank you to all of you. Youse guys are terrific, and I’ve been really grateful to be here.

41 Likes

It takes a lot of courage to face and come to terms with our limitations. I admire you for it. I am sorry to hear about your illness but I really hope I will face such a thing as well as you have when the time comes.

I’d encourage you to stick with the bass. Sure, you may need to reassess your goals. That’s fine. It brings you joy and that’s the only thing that matters.

16 Likes

Thank you @howard . you’re a star. I am, I’ll play until i can’t.

8 Likes

So sorry to read this, @autumnsdad1990 - that is a very heavy cross to bear!

I am sure @eric.kiser can provide more relevant and useful information and input concerning the challenges you are facing, but I would agree with Howard in saying that music (on whatever level, both active and passive) can evoke strong emotional responses and bring joy and fulfilment. I am not an esoteric, but there is something almost tangible emanating from those thick bass strings when struck.

All the best!!

8 Likes

Thank you

4 Likes

Sorry to hear this.

5 Likes

Very sorry to hear this @autumnsdad1990. When you can, play. When you can’t, listen. Listening to music can being endless joy as well as I am sure you know.

I hope managing this is as easy as a hard thing can be for you.

7 Likes

Thank you, @John_E
There are so many stars here. I’ve seen more kindness and acceptance and willingness to help and really hear in this forum than i ever have anywhere.
I would Like to thank everyone personally, but there are so many, and typing isn’t so easy for me these days.

To all of you, thank you.

9 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear about your struggle @autumnsdad1990 .
@John_E suggestion is most definitely a great one. Music is a great way to get away from reality for a while wether playing or listening.
Also remember wether your playing or listening you’ll always have a home here.

6 Likes

@autumnsdad1990 The answer is play if/when you can. And for the love of everything don’t not be here. You’re candor and transparency is admirable and beyond reproach. What brought us to music is the LOVE of music. Then we realized that music moves and stirs us and crosses boundaries, borders and walls that few things in this universe can. Even love can be misinterpreted and misused, but the boogie is the boogie and moves who it moves. In a new season, love the music where and how you can. Share with us the music that is moving you in this season. Keep us updated. You have my prayers brother.

5 Likes

@autumnsdad1990 I am so sorry about what you are going through…
Please never give up! And remember that playing an instrument is also a great form of therapy (physical and mental). I won’t say it will be easy and it will get better but you have to hold on tight. Always. You are one of the people who inspire me on this forum and motivate me to hard work. Sending hugs!! :heart::people_hugging::kissing_cat:

7 Likes

Really sucks @autumnsdad1990

Keep doing what you can. you bravery is inspiring

7 Likes

You’re terrific, and I’ve been grateful you’re here.
You’ve been handed a seriously brutal scenario. Thanks for sharing it, and for the humor and determination behind it.
Best of luck in all the things!

7 Likes

Man, you are many things to everyone here. Your good humor, your dedication and love for playing, and, most importantly, your support of others are invaluable to this group. You are always there with boundless enthusiasm and encouragement. That’s a gift, and I thank you for it.

The love you take is equal to the love you make. Much love and joy to you, my friend.

We’re here for you.

7 Likes

Everyone has said all that needs to be said, @autumnsdad1990 .
We are all here to support each other, hang in there brother,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Sorry to hear it @autumnsdad1990 … Hope all goes well for you, and keep on thumpin as long as it makes you feel good…

6 Likes

To Autumn’s Dad,
Like everyone here, I am sorry indeed to hear of your MS. Like many of us, I too have had a life-threatening event which I survived in a 9-hour emergency open heart surgery, which included a stroke for good measure.
I know enough about MS due to a close friend’s diagnosis…
I hope you are able to continue to play - so long as it is a source of enjoyment. Just seeing my bass sitting in my office gives me some small bit of pleasure.
Your observation hit home: “Who writes this crap?”
God bless and stay positive as much as possible!
…Badmule

7 Likes

You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday, Autumnsdad!

6 Likes

@autumnsdad1990 What you’re dealing with is incredibly tough. I wish you Godspeed in finding a way to be comfortable and find some peace as you go through this.

Here is some information about MS for anybody interested.

Multiple Sclerosis is a really complicated auto-immune disease affecting the nervous system. Particularly in the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves.

They still don’t know what causes it. It’s not strictly genetic, environmental, or infection based. The best guess is there are factors from all three that come together to create MS.

There is no known cure or any way to reverse the neurological damage. Currently, doctors use various medications to treat symptoms the best they can.

The body uses sugar to create electricity which flows through your nerves. Just like electrical wires have insulation, your nerves have insulation called myelin. What happens with MS is the immune system becomes confused and when you have a flare up (or exacerbation) the immune system starts to attack the myelin sheath and the scar tissue left behind is called a sclerosis. If you have more than one place where this has happened, it is called Multiple Sclerosis.

In the past it has been very hard to diagnose, and it was considered a rare disease. In the last 10+ years with better processes for identification, it’s now classified as common with 200,000 new cases a year just in the US.

Fortunately, the medical industry has recognized this and, like Cancer Centers, you can find an MS Center in most major cities. I mention this because not all neurologists understand all the options for how to treat MS.

10 Likes

So sorry to hear about this, @autumnsdad1990. I hope you’ll be able to continue and enjoy playing for as long as you can, even if it’s just hitting the root on one. Even if it’s just in your head. As others have said, even just listening to music can bring joy and happiness. I know it’s easier said than done, but I hope you’ll be able to find happiness in what you still can do.

6 Likes