The Ugly Duckling/Freak Thread

The only ones I think are cute are Rick Nielsenā€™s, because he does those for precisely the image of an over the top multi-necked monstrosity.

Has the top one got 4 bass and 4 guitar strings ?

Oooh! I just recently saw a Yamaha SBV500 on Reverb and just fell in love with the aesthetic. In your opinion, how do they play? Because Iā€™m seriously considering getting one of these elusive little buggers.

6 Likes

Personally I love it! It has a fantastic neck and a super solid neck joint. Sounds great too.

@terb has a SBV500, he can tell you about his.

There is a minor amount of neck dive but nothing major, a good strap eliminates it.

I absolutely love the look and feel.

3 Likes

yeah, I totally agree. this is an excellent instrument, the build quality being equivalent to a MIA Fender or the current years, in my opinion. even the pickups are really great.

5 Likes

I just posted a cover song where I use the SBV550, if you want to hear it in action :slight_smile:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Hand-built custom ā€˜Wishboneā€ bass, $400.
I wish it looked better

6 Likes

For most of these, I would be glad to hang them on my wall. But that one, thatā€™s pretty bad.

7 Likes

I actually really like that :flushed:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing, long live tablature!

I wish Iā€™d never seen itā€¦ Great upper fret access though :joy:

2 Likes

They really tried hard to make it unique. And you know what? They succeeded in spades. Now, tasteful or functional are a different thing entirely.

3 Likes

If this isnā€™t an ugly freak, I donā€™t know what is. Harp, 12 string, 7 string, bass (50/50 fretted/fretless)

8 Likes

Isnā€™t a hydra a three headed thing?
Someone forgot a headstock!

4 Likes

Heracles has already started in on it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Too much neck dive obviously

2 Likes

Careful - cut one head off, two grow back in its place. I think thatā€™s what happened here.

7 Likes

You know your classics, @kristine :+1:t3:

4 Likes

:neutral_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes