The Wrecking Crew

You may have heard of The Wrecking Crew, the group of studio musicians who were on just about every recording in 60s and 70s. Sara got me this DVD of the documentary about them as a Christmas gift, and I finally got around to watching it. It’s very enjoyable and informative and includes some great music to boot.

It features some legendary musicians also, including my bass heros Carole Kaye and the late Joe Osborn.
It’s also on HBO Max and Pluto, but I wanted the DVD so I could have the extra features. It’s a good watch for any music lover.

13 Likes

I watched a documentary about Carole Kaye. She played bass for everyone’s albums and took their average sounding music and made it great. Pretty amazing stuff.

3 Likes

That’s a great movie

3 Likes

I have not seen this film, but I gather it’s well known that Carol Kaye herself (who, as @PamPurrs wrote, was in it), does not like it, the book with the same name, or the title/name itself.

Maybe it’s a good flick for what it is, but apparently parts of it are not true; Carol Kaye refers to others with the same opinion: see #7 in this post by Carol in her own forum, where she tells her side of the story. Those of you who have seen the film can judge what she says for yourselves.

2 Likes

Well I enjoyed it and only posted about it case others would like to see it. If, for whatever reason, Carole Kaye regrets having participated in it, my opinion of the documentary stands.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed it. You might have to take a minute to explain our younger Bass Buzzers what a DVD is @PamPurrs. I believe one could rent such things at Blockbuster back in the day.

4 Likes

Amazingly, still thriving here. There’s a major chain that carries DVD’s and CD’s for rental. And I am damn glad they do because their CD collection is amazing - like, the entire Warp records back catalogue.

They also know their exact place in society - they sell the writable DVD and CD blanks right at the register, in case you are running low on your yarr harr matey gear :rofl:

3 Likes

Japan buys more physical CDs than any other country. I see that Metallica had 1.3 billion streams on Spotify last year.

I don’t think I have anything that can play a CD anymore.

2 Likes

My brother bought me about 20 WARP CD collections for my birthday years ago to ‘educate me’ about good music. He was right.

3 Likes

Hey!!!
I didn’t know about this, thanks for posting!
-Doc

2 Likes

adding to this, if you like the wrecking crew you may like another similar doc ‘it might get loud.’ no bassists but has jimmy page, the edge, and jack white talking about the creative process in music. really well done:

3 Likes

I TRULY was going to be the next Jimmy Page.
“How did that go for ya, Doc??”

2 Likes

Jimmy is a bassist too - he played bass in the Yardbirds for years.

1 Like