Things starting to come together

I have been working on learning a song by ear. Normally, I would look for tabs, but the band is relatively minor and no tabs available. When I tried to learn songs before by ear, I always felt like I was stabbing in the dark and just randomly going for notes until it “sounded” right. This time, it seemed so much easier. I found the root and then was like–oh, thats just a triad; oh, the chorus is just ascending 4ths up the major scale. Oh, the bridge just modulates down a half step. And it only took like an hour or so to get most of it.

Seems silly, but I am incredibly proud I was able to figure something out on my own in such a short time. Feel like I am actually making progress musically. Hope to post a cover soon.

28 Likes

Congratulations. Feels good doesn’t it? :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Not silly at all, this is huge progress.
The more you do this the easier it gets.

4 Likes

That’s a major musical “click”! You deserve to be proud!

3 Likes

Way to go there. I could pretty much do that on the drums easily. Dont think it will happen on bass for me.

You deserve a pat on the back:

Seriously, though. I’m impressed. I’m still struggling with picking out bass from songs. Congrats.

4 Likes

This is impressive @Old_WannaBe . And half of the stuff you have mentioned, I don´t even know what you are talking about! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m happy for you! I bet you’ve put the time in to get things clicking.

1 Like

Congrats!
When you’re finding things difficult, they’re the times when you’re learning. If it becomes easy, then you’re not learning much and it’s time to move on to something that challenges you (when you find it difficult).

2 Likes

I will never forget the feeling of victory and confidence that came with my first ever riff transcription. It’s powerful stuff! Congrats.

3 Likes

Really well done, dude. Great progress!

I was also at first not able to tell the notes by just listening to songs, slowly and gradually I was able to tell the notes that were being played in the songs and then its all ez and u will be able to decode songs

1 Like