Things that make you go hmmm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/21/these-guitars-struck-wrong-note-with-us-customs-border-protection-officers/

6 Likes

That sort of activity is maddening!

4 Likes

This counterfeiting business is so horrible.
In the sax world, the knock off saxes are laughably bad, but the knocking off of vintage mouthpieces is big big business and very hard to tell the difference. They have figured out how to age them ‘just right’ with all the proper wear marks. Many a player (pro’s included) have been had by them.

If people only put the energy into doing something good…

7 Likes

Not only have they brought the world to its knees with Covid and got away with it,they’re flooding the market with counterfeit crap :rage:

5 Likes

Technology is making it easier to do counterfeit for sure. Though it is also making it easier to detect counterfeit.

It can be a thin line though, kinda. Though not counterfeit, there are plenty of copies we embrace. Is a cab-sim copy fine? What about all the digital defects pedal copies on a multi-effects pedal? What about an instrument clone that looks, plays and sounds virtually the same as the original? Like a Fender 60s Custom Shop.

What we don’t want is counterfeit that is significantly inferior to the original.

The reason I bring this up is that while technology is advancing counterfeits, it is also advancing the accuracy of copies. And that’s a good thing. Mostly. Then again, some that have originals might hate others having less valuable copies that appear to be the same…

2 Likes

Horry cow !! . . . . :roll_eyes:

China strikes again . . . I wouldn’t buy a pickguard screw from that place :angry:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Another factor - kind of the elephant in the room - is that given trends over the last couple decades, they may have been higher quality than actual Gibsons :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve never understood paying thousands of dollars for an autograph :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

The things with your examples, though, are that you know what you’re paying for. Knock-offs are not counterfeit (I know you said that) - a knock-off is not being sold (and priced) as the “real thing”. You’re not paying for one thing and getting another. Something claiming to be “authentic”, that isn’t authentic, is not the same as a knock-off. I don’t really think it’s that thin of a line between thievery and knock-offs.

2 Likes

If you think about it, there are a lot of knock-off Jazz, Precision, and Music Man basses.

2 Likes