This one is going to be REALLY hard to pass on. I hope it’s gone soon, or I am a goner!

um ok wow I want.

1 Like

See, I told you this one is gonna be hard to pass.
As of now it’s still available. I hope it sells soon, the longer it’s out there, the weaker I become.

2 Likes

Just buy it lol. Have what you want.

Btw, I don’t like headless guitars either; cannot be ok with the look of them–doesn’t fit my personality.

3 Likes

If I did that with everything I wanted, I would not have room to live in my house, and a lot less cash on hand. Lol

Had I not already purchased the Sr300, I would however. And that is one I want as well.

1 Like

Seeing as to how it’s still available, it looks like others do not find it terribly hard to pass. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey @T_dub ,
That’s a fine piece of wood.
I would find it hard to say no.
:cold_face::cold_face:

1 Like

Hi @howard,
Can you let me know where the shop is in Tokyo.
Cheers

1 Like

Okay, I’ll bite… what’s the point of a headless guitar or bass?

2 Likes

Not sure, but I think somebody said it was so the bass or guitar couldn’t be knocked out of tune by a careless stage hand, or worse yet, the head be damaged or broken? Same for safety when traveling?

Just some guesses, but I bet there are some folk that think they look cool as well. Also could be lighter. By how much, idk, but I am sure there are some that appreciate a lighter neck / head??

Now we will both wait for someone who actually knows to answer.

2 Likes

I am having difficulty with it @TNKA36.
I set up to go see / play with it tomorrow evening.

What are the chances of me leaving empty handed?

Anyone want to start placing bets?

2 Likes

The custom shop is in Ochanomizu on the end of the second block of music stores on Meidai-dori.

https://g.page/espguitar?share

Their “Big Boss” retail store is up closer to the station, near their music school.

There’s a ton of great guitar stores there in Ochanomizu. I really like Kurosawa’s bass annex.

2 Likes

Me too, that’s a nice looking ESP at a decent price for (basically) new. Especially if they would do $350-375.

1 Like

Just adding fuel to the fire @howard. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

I was thinking $350 might be too lowball to offer, but I am only taking $400 with me, not a cent more.
3 x $100
1 x $50
10 x $5

So I can counter $5 at a time above the $350 mark. I was thinking to start at $375, but now I will start at $350 and just tell them I was advise by my good buddy @howard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It is mainly logistics:
They’re smaller, so take up less space. But mainly, they’re less vulnerable to damage! If a guitar breaks in transit, it’s almost always the headstock coming off the neck.

On top of that, the headstock and the machine heads make a guitar prone to neck dive. You have to counteract that by adding weight to the body…

Allan’s Carvins were ridiculously light, and very comfortable.

1 Like

There’s also the stylistic aspect. The Steinbergers had a very cool, futuristic vibe when they came out. They are still working that angle.

(Japanese text is basically “Stylish and compact, you’ll always want it with you.”)

And even if you don’t really love the look with a normal body, well:

Then again, no Status Graphite is going to look bad I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose it kinda works for basses because of the longer scale. But the guitar thingy looked a bit like a kiddie toy when Allan played it.

What with the guy having pretty big hands didn’t help. :wink:
But then again, when you play like that, you can get away with something that looks like a squash racket from Walmart on stage.

For many of us, I think the lack of a headstock is hard to get around. It may be, as they say, an “acquired taste”.

2 Likes

Yeah, My Carvin was light and comfortable as well, despite having a headstock. The Carvin ( Now Keisel) are excellent quality, tone performance. Pretty much all hand made to order, they keep very little stock on hand.

And you will PAY $$$ for it.

In ‘92, I paid $666 for a custom, Kota wood, neck thru, feature rich guitar. To get the same today would cost over $2000.

I have been watching Let Go and Offer Up, and even Reverb and GC for used Carvin neck thru basses that are priced To sell. I found one for like $280, very nice in pictures, with a hard case. Unfortunately, it was posted like 8 months ago and had been sold. The seller just never changed it to “sold”

If I found one of those, I think I would satisfy the GAS god for a very long time.
I think that ESP I am going to look at would do the same.
The ESP might do it better, because it actually reminds me of a bass version of MY Carvin that I basically lost in the divorce. It looks very similar, just has more wood tones as the koa was mostly dark, only tone differences were the neck strips.

Hi @howard
Thanks for all the details, I was in Tokyo last year and didn’t get to this area.
When we get past this pandemic crap and the borders open up again we will be heading back to Japan :jp: And I will definitely be having a look around this precinct.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Sweet! Yeah, Ochanomizu is basically the music district. Tokyo is kind of charming this way, you can get things most anywhere but there is usually one area that is the main place to go for it, where it’s block after block of stores. Akihabara for electronics is famous, but there’s also Ochanomizu for music, Jimbocho for books, Kappabashi for cooking, Ningyocho for traditional dolls, etc :slight_smile:

I’m guessing you probably went to Shibuya and Shinjuku while visiting before? There’s some good stores there as well. I bought my last bass in Shibuya. But there’s nowhere like Ochanomizu. A few blocks densely packed with music stores.

6 Likes