Thought I was doing pretty well until

Yeah @RoyB I’ve recently started his beginner to bassist course and it’s a nice follow on from the B2B course. I think the harmonizing lesson is in that course.

1 Like

I bought the funk course a couple days ago. Big concepts there-for someone at my skill level, anyway. But man, the stuff I’ve already picked up in just a couple lessons is amazing. There’s good value for the money with that guy.

1 Like

I’ll probably grab his beginner to bassist program, too. My guess is it would be money well spent.

2 Likes

Once I finish the fundamentals course I’ll probably end up picking up the funk course also :metal:

2 Likes

I’m doing his funk course right now.
It is fantastic.
I’m not trying to burn through it.
I course is based on riffs and patterns and notes of a scale to experiment with.
So I am going slow and actually doing what he says.

1. Get the riff down at speed.
  2. Take the same notes and play around and make my own riffs (you know, the part we say we will come back to and never do).

I’ve learned the first two riffs and working on them solely. From what I think so far a week or two per riff should be a decent pace.

I really like him too.

And it’s a great compliment to some of the Rich brown stuff.

Thanks again @barney for the good find.

5 Likes

Lol this one kicked my butt too. Grabbing the notes wasn’t hard, but muting the sound of moving/sliding your fretting hand felt impossible

But this is how we cheat :grinning:
The ONE advantage to playing left-handed is that it’s a mirror image. I could show up to my garage band after a couple of glasses of wine, not having bothered to learn the songs, and just watch the guitar players hands. Boom. Done.
It’s like the old joke about Ginger Rogers. She did everything that Fred Astaire did but backwards and in heels. We get used to it.
I can’t read left handed tab or chord charts. And lefty guitar videos confuse the hell out of me. But sit me down across from a right-handed player and I’m good to go :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.

I’ll have to pass that on to my Leftie buds. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Does something like left handed tab even exist, doesn’t tab work the same no matter if left handed or right handed?

Good point. The TAB would be the same because it is related to the actual sheet music but the chord diagrams for left handed would be different.

I was pretty happy with my progress until I tried doing strict alternating plucking doing some scales, and if I concentrate solely on that I lose a ton of my speed and confidence lol. If I just let 'er rip and play it, it’s easy peasy XD

My fingers often get “twisted” and off.

Yeah, same here.
I sometimes try to ‘fix’ my fingering when I am about to record a song - really dumb idea.
Instead I will work on specific fingerings of tricker parts and burn in that bit to the muscle memory, but let the fingers do what they do the rest of the time.
It has made me a 1 finger plucker a lot more than I should be.
I do try to, in practice, force the alterating and figure in time it will bake in just like the single finger did on its own.

I noticed through this diligence I was often string-crossing without alternating, especially on the index finger, oddly enough. About the only place I was reliably alternating on crossings was intervals/octaves.

2 Likes

If any right handed players are interested, videos by the Lefty Bassman will provide the “mirror image” experience for them. He has a lot of bass lines transcribed at his store, too.

1 Like

That was awesome. Thought I give it a cursory few minute listen and think “cool” - listened end-to-end and wished it was longer…

3 Likes

Yeah, blew me away first time I saw it.

1 Like

aw, shucks. Thanks heaps!

4 Likes

Aww, thanks guys, I miss ya’ll, and yes, you’re right, I’ve become a rockstar, though, alas, it’s only in my overactive imagination :rofl:

I’ll still come by and lurk on here every now and then, and, my 2 basses are sitting here loyally next to me, though they silently scream to be played more than just every now and then… it’s more of a low, rumbly scream, since, they are, after all, basses, haha!

But one day… one day… I shall piece together another Craigslist band, and make it work! Hopefully more highlights this time than lowlights, like the last one :joy:

4 Likes

Man, so good to hear from you, @Vik !!!

Did the snow finally melt away where you are? :grin:

I hope you are doing well, buddy!?!?

3 Likes

Thanks fellas, this message board is always a second home to come back to, no matter how long one has been away! I think the snow had just (mostly) melted up here in the mountains again, and I was reminded of 3 years ago, when I got my first bass, found B2B, and the rest, is history! (Hoping the system gives me the 3 year badge soon now, lol!) Seems weird that this was all pre-covid - but hoping that we’re now permanently post-covid, or, as close to that as possible, so musicians can just be musicians once again. But doing great, no news (that’s the best sometimes, huh?!). Going to catch up on some threads now, though, likely in stealth mode :upside_down_face:

4 Likes