Thoughts on B2B for the second time

His paid stuff isn’t like that.

2 Likes

I believe it, but I will likely never find out :rofl:

1 Like

I think SBL is worth it alone just for the Player’s Path.

5 Likes

He needs to cut noob josh loose, that guy is holding him back :wink: Sometimes the cringe is almost too much for me to take :joy:

2 Likes

+1 I love his enthusiasm, it’s pretty much contagious!

2 Likes

Not at all, I just didn’t want anyone thinking I was…

1 Like

It isn’t but wasn’t for me.
I am sure many love SBL, it is huge after all.
Just not for me.

3 Likes

What fundamental bit was that?

2 Likes

I had never put 2+2 together for the “stacking thirds” thing. Coming from keyboards I had always thought of chords as intervals and being built primarily from the odd intervals from the tonic, but stacking thirds is a much better way to think about it, especially in terms of fretboards.

Other than that, though, the first third of Chord Tones (at least) has been mostly a retread for me. However that’s entirely due to prior background, not B2B. It would be an excellent follow-on for someone whose only exposure to chords, arpeggios and their theory was B2B.

2 Likes

Yup. As a guitar guy I always thought in terms of shapes, and as I gained experience and technique, specifically CAGED shapes, but still shapes, ones that allowed me to play under just about any chord. This is the first time I have worked to learn the fretboard as notes that have relationships to one another.
On the one hand, it has completely f#cked up my playing :flushed:. On the other hand, it has completely f#kd up my playing in a good way. I have started thinking in terms of, “oh the flat five would work here … wait, why does it work here?” or understanding that playing Bob Seger’s Main Street in D Mixolydian means I can use G Major fingerings.
Re-wiring your brain is a weird and wonderful experience.

3 Likes

Me too :smile:

And because a perfect fifth is always 7 semitones, a major triad is a major third plus a minor third and a minor triad is a minor third plus a major third :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yep exactly. It’s something I knew but had never put together in that way until Mark pointed it out as a way to describe building triads and extended chords.

1 Like

I have done the course 2 1/2 times, the 1/2 was because I got derailed and never got back to it. First time thru I had the usual struggles : Billie Jean, slapping was a train wreck, there was one other part I struggled with. The second time I decided I was going to slap my way thru as much as I could. Still suck at slap Bass. After reading this thread I’m going to do the course again and anxiously await the next course.

3 Likes

Doing the course again is a splendid idea, but don’t hold your breath while awaiting a follow up to B2B. Just head over to TalkingBass if you want advanced courses.

2 Likes

Mark Smith and Scott Devine are friends and come from the same area :slightly_smiling_face:

I started with B2B about a year ago, practiced for a couple months, went on deployment and couldn’t take anything with me, came back, moved around a lot, and am now getting back into it. I was about halfway through, and I’m trying to decide if I should start over or keep going. What do you think, with your twice through perspectives?

Go backwards from where you left off until it seems too easy, then move forward again.
You can also give a quick look to everything from the beginning vs. doing everything note for note

2 Likes

oh this is a really good idea, thanks!

I finished my first pass this past week. I’m really slow, in fact it took 6 months. No crying, but I’m slow at picking thinks up.
After the first room I was thinking I had some degree of competence and was doing well. After running through just about 2 complete modules in the last week, I’ve realized that I’m far from being any sort of good.
The plan was to do a quick flyover on it, mostly to pick up things I’d missed. I had to slow way down, because I left a lot on the table.
I can play all the stuff we did in the program, and it don’t sound bad-but I’m glad I decided to run it again. I think it will be a great experience.

As for auxiliary training stuff that’s good? I really like yonit speigelman’s channel on YouTube. She teaches really well and it using as tech heavy as sbl. Scott is amazing, he’s definitively on point, I just ain’t there yet.

4 Likes

I would really suggest finding some simple bass tabs of songs you like and learning either riffs from the song or the whole song bit by bit.

This really helps reinforce what your learning technique wise, and, is really fun so it keeps your fingers on the bass. I found myself looking up at 1am after playing little riffs over and over happily.

You can look to our first few 50 songs in the challenge or head over to YouTube and search Constantine bass tab for Constantine’s channel. He’s got zillions. He lists his website on his YouTube channel for even more.

There’s also a guy on YouTube ( sorry forget his name) with super bushy eyebrows that does a lot with just riffs that are very fun to play to and learn. This will all help.

4 Likes