Tight jack plug

I’m finding that I’m quite often feeling like I’m having to really pull on the lead when I’m disconnecting the Ibanez which I’m worried will eventually cause some kind of damage.
Do any of you use any kind of lubricant on your cable jacks or plugs?

3 Likes

Hmm, no.
I was talking to the guitar tech / luthier at the local guitar / pawn shop, and he was tellling me that some cables have variation in diameter size, and if you get one that is on the larger side, it can stretch your input jack, and then when you end up with ones on the smaller side, they feel loose.
Sounds like you might have one that is on the larger side.
He did not go to say weather the input jacks can vary like this, but I am guessing they can.

I was having trouble when I got my Stingray 34. The cable I had here was a bit loose in it, and it flopped around causing all sorts of issues. I thought I would need to bring it in and have him replace the jack, but the cord he used to test it fit just fine.
I ended up buying a new cord from him (Ernie ball straight on one end, right angle on the others end for my Ray 4’s.
It fit perfect and I did not have to replace anything on the bass.

The odd thing is that both the Ernie ball cord, and the one I bought from amazon fit every other bass just fine, so IDK what to make of that.

2 Likes

That would explain it. I’m running a couple of cheap cables at the moment and it’s one of those in particular that’s the problem.
Thanks @T_dub

1 Like

Whatever you decide to do, I wouldn’t suggest Googling the term lubricate tight jack plug. :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

It took me a while to write the post so I wouldn’t make a faux parr lol :joy:

4 Likes

I am not sure if graphite dry lube would be a good thing to use here???

3 Likes

Maybe? :thinking:

3 Likes