Tinnitus - Any cure?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I didn’t found it.

In some threads people mentioned in passing they are having tinnitus. So do I. Got it in my youth while playing in front of the stacks or later when we adjusted fuel controls of jet engines running at take-off power (Yes, we were wearing ear muffs…).

I am not getting used to the nerve-wracking ringing tone in my ears. Right worse than left, sometimes ‘pianissimo’, sometimes ‘mezzoforte’. Hearing in upper registers is somewhat limited too.

AFAIK there is no cure, but has anyone managed to lower symptoms?
Any strategies to get along with tinnitus?

4 Likes

No cure.

Silence is the worst and my symptoms are greatly lowered by any noise; music works well.

9 Likes

I concur with @howard there is no cure, only methods of dealing with it. It’s at its worst when you’re in dead silence, so white noise machines or just some background music are helpful. I’ve had it ever since I was in Vietnam and have managed to simply live with it.

7 Likes

You may be surprised how common tinnitus is! Knowing what can make it worse and what can make it seem less worse will help because it will give you a feeling of having some control over it. Stressful situations can make it seem louder, being relaxed will bring it down. Lack of sleep can increase stress levels, so that needs to be avoided too.

5 Likes

Nope, no cure that I’m aware of. I’ve had tinnitus for years. My first concert was KISS in 1977. Cheap Trick opened. They had just gotten back from Japan. So, yeah, I got the Alive II tour AND Live at Budakon before the album was released in the same show. :grinning: A lot more metal at volumes that would sterilize frogs followed. I’ve lost just about everything above 12kHz, except for the ringing.
The real problem comes in crowded venues. I hear just fine in quiet environments, but crowded restaurants and bars are a nightmare. The background noise drowns out everything.

3 Likes

I got tinnitus from my time in the military. No cure. However the upside of my hearing loss is I can genuinely say “Sorry I didn’t hear you” when asked to take out the recycling. So you know, it’s not all bad.

10 Likes

@Barney Well, tried that too. Worked once. Now she points to the recycling with a sinister smile sigh

@LeftyChad Never thought one concert can do so much damage to the hearing but we were warned, weren’t we?

4 Likes

I lost my high end at a Slayer concert at 5 Points Music Hall in Birmingham, I think in summer of 1994. 300 person capacity. Marshall leads and Super Leads as if they were in a 10,000 capacity stadium, (I think). Sound was deafening and my face was numb. Ears buzzed for weeks afterward. Robin Trower was an outside concert that same summer. Loudest ever and really uncomfortable to be there. But, I have no tinnitus just a loss of really high frequencies.

3 Likes

I grew up in Tennessee in the 70s & 80s. There wasn’t a lot of choice about who you got to see play live; you just went to what was available. So while I did see Van Halen & did see Metallica open for Ozzy, there was a lot of “Ratt, Y&T, and Bon Jovi on a triple bill? Why not?” “Molly Hatchet for $10? Sure!” :grinning: We weren’t picky. And it was all loud as hell. It always took a couple of days for your hearing to recover fully. No one ever mentioned that this might be a bad idea.

3 Likes

Well fook. In the last three days my tinnitus got way, way worse on my left side (only). Went to the doctor today, large measurable hearing loss on that side.

Take care of your ears, kiddies.

4 Likes

sorry to hear it @howard . Kinda odd that it would just spontaneously happen, no?

1 Like

My experience is that it comes in waves. Sometimes I can go a week without hearing it. Then I’ll get it in an hourly cycle and then it goes away again for a bit.
It’s a really odd thing. Like most things in life, you don’t appreciate anything when you’re young :slight_smile:
I’m now ‘that guy’ on the job site constantly hassling the young guns about wearing their hearing protection.

3 Likes

Actually yeah it is. This is way worse than normal and the hearing loss was large. Hopefully it’s reversible. This isn’t the normal tinnitus.

2 Likes

@Barney Same experience here and no relation to stress, weather, food, whiskey, blood pressure or other environmental influences. Always thought finding a pattern would be a good approach to alleviate the symptoms.

@howard hope your hearing recovers soon

2 Likes

thanks! me too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hope you get better soon.

2 Likes

When I’m stressed or too much coffee makes my tinnitus much worse (especially at night). Also don’t “temper” with your ear too much. I made it worse with ear wax picks.

@howard don’t put your tinnitus on level 11 mate :wink: Hope it recovers soon!

3 Likes

Thanks me too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope it is - best wishes.

3 Likes

got my hearing checked by the VA in July waiting to see how much loss and how much they are paying. The tinnitus has gotten worse every year, now its all the time like high pitched cicadas 24/7. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.

6 Likes