To Foam or Not To Foam

I’m digging into the Dark Queen, with it’s 60s P pickup. Starting with Lean On Me.

I have the Bass and Low Mids set to 50% (3:00) and the Hi Mids dialed all the way back. Sounds really warm and fat, with that treble still shining.

The Ciocks power brick came with a perfect piece of foam. I cut it to size and put it under the strings by the bridge. Flattens the sound, but she has a lot of sustain and the notes still ring.

Sounds more vintage. I’m torn between modern and vintage. Don’t know what way is better.

2 Likes

Neither is better.
They are just different.
Record a snippet of both and do a blind listed a couple times and see which one you pick more (do it over and over a few times, not just once)…and you will have your answer.

5 Likes

Best thing about the foam is it’s not a permanent mod. If it were up to me I would use it when I wanted a vintage sound and remove it when I wanted the modern. I love options.

4 Likes

I have recorded both with and without, and agree with John @John_E ,
Both produce different tone, sound and sustain,
It’s whatever floats your boat imo,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I keep about 4 pieces of different sized foam + some piano dampening material in the gig bag. It all sounds different, great for different things, and foaming is real fun.
Gotta Foam!
Say Yes To Foaming!

5 Likes

YES :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

1 Like