To PolyTune or Not To PolyTune?

The Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-2 that I picked up used ($20) is not working correctly. The 9v battery connector doesn’t work, and it tunes slightly sharp.

So, I’m looking for a new tuner pedal. One of the options that keeps popping up, is the PolyTune 3. Does anyone have any experience with the PolyTune?

3 Likes

I had a polychromatic tuner (not that one; Foxgear) and sold it - its extra features weren’t particularly useful to me as someone who only plays bass, not guitar. A bit envious of guitarists on that front!

3 Likes

How about strobostomp HD, they are simply the best.

4 Likes

I saw the previous post on the strobostomp, but can’t find them locally. I’m always trying to shop local mom and pop shops first. And what I’m seeing is PolyTune, Boss Chromatic Tuners, and D’Addario tuner pedals. Haven’t seen much else in the local shops other than those listed above and neck tuners and Krog plug-in tuners. And the strobostomps are a little on the pricey side for a tuner.

2 Likes

I have the Polytune clipon, and it is as accurate as my strobostomp pedal. I prefer the strobostomp but wouldnt hesitate to get the polytune as an alternative.

3 Likes

I’ve used a Poly3 for years and I can’t say a bad thing about it.

5 Likes

According to an owner’s manual I found online, the standard pitch of the TU-2 can be changed. It should be set to 440 Hz. Are you sure that it is set correctly?

5 Likes

My TU-2 was spot on, FWIW.

2 Likes

We’ll, I did get it used for $20, so…there is that.

3 Likes

Since it tunes slightly sharp, and standard pitch is tunable, couldn’t you set standard pitch slightly flat and get a “proper” tuning value? (I understand OP may not want to deal with this - I’m wondering if it’s a valid “work-around”)

1 Like

The Snark works well and is only $25ish.

1 Like