To shim or file?

On the new to me Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass - my G string saddle is bottomed out and action is still too high (about 2mm too high). However, all the other saddles are adjusted to my normal action and in a good range.
This bass comes with a Leo Quan Badass II Bridge as standard.
So…file the saddle or shim the neck?

I am leaning towards file the saddle.

2 Likes

It seems kind of odd that only the G string is too high. Is this a very tight radius neck?

1 Like

I would file if all the other saddles are adjusted to your liking with good neck relief. How are you liking that 7.25" radius?

2 Likes

How’s the relief?

1 Like

Yep 7.25"

1 Like

I generally set all my basses the same.
.014 at 7th fret with capo on 1st fret.

Oh wait…DUH!!!
This thing has a micro tilt neck!
Problemo solvedo.
Built in shim.
Back to the bench…
I must be tired.

BTW @Al1885 - I love this thing. Punchy and fun.
It had a few bad connections inside and was noisy as hell, now after a few resolders it is quiet as a mouse.

5 Likes

I betcha the bridge pickup rings like bells.

How do you like the preamps setup?

1 Like

I put NYXLs on figuring I would give this bass some brightness.
It sure has it.
Finally stock Fender pickups I can leave alone.
The preamp is pretty good too, nice wide range on it.
The only thing I don’t like is there appears to be no tone control in passive mode (that I can hear anyway).

3 Likes

These things tend not to bother me much, positive or negative.
Since I go from sopranino to baritone on sax across a couple different brands/models, I am not as fussy/picky about neck shape, nut width, etc. I am constantly adjusting/readjusting on sax and so I just do the same on bass.

3 Likes

Yeah I remember there’s nothing on the passive. Also the active preamp are boost only, which I thought was very cool. Now I’m stalking one for me, lol.

3 Likes

Micro-Tilt is a BIG misnomer.
Macro-Tilt is more like it.
Doesn’t take much and boom, everything is great.
I am really liking all the design choices on this bass.
I get why they ditched the micro-tilt, don’t always need it so why bother, but it is a great feature.

2 Likes

I know it functions really well for their guitars. It’s a feature that you get to use only once unless you are so indecisive, lol. I agree it’s a kick ass feature.

3 Likes

I love adjustability like that. I really wish everyone else would follow Warwick’s lead on nuts and bridges.

2 Likes